Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Wylie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Wylie

It looks like somebody pulled the plug on Lake Wylie. You could walk across Crowders Creek and not get your feet too wet. Hard to believe that 40 + years ago we used to jump off the bridge. Whoa, I'm about to tell how old I am.:p

Post Thanks / Like

they stopped bridge jumpin about 70 years ago......:D
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Can't trust a fisherman to tell the truth about anything. Now really how old is Thumper1. Maybe he can't remember.

Post Thanks / Like

thumpers gettin along in years. im guessing late sixties, early seventies. keep in mind tho that my estimate is based on observations and not on facts...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I contacted the York County historian to do a bit of research. It seems that back in the old days kids would spend much of their time bridge jumping to have something to do during the summer. This was a very popular pastime until an event occured which gave youngsters of the day an alternative---the invention of baseball. Soon after the game was introduced it captured the imagination and attention of young people in the county and teams were formed and games were played daily, thus eliminating the practice of bridge jumping. Therefore, it is obvious that Thumper is just a bit older than baseball.

We are indeed fortunate to have such an old timer available to recount for us the "old ways":D
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Prob not long until the ramps will close. During the drought several years ago the ramps were closed for a while. We need rain.

Post Thanks / Like

we still practice bridge jumping some up in nc. old big boat docks that are about 15ft tall are fun too.

Post Thanks / Like

years ago, kids used to jump from the old buster boyd bridge at night, and some folks would fish off it to. we was fishing under the bridge one night and all was peaceful and quiet when all of a sudden there was a loud yell and huge splash about ten ft from the boat and this guy surfaced treading water. he dint know we was down there and we dint hear em above & when he jumped off i almost jumped outta the boat....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Well, I contacted the York County historian to do a bit of research. It seems that back in the old days kids would spend much of their time bridge jumping to have something to do during the summer. This was a very popular pastime until an event occured which gave youngsters of the day an alternative---the invention of baseball. Soon after the game was introduced it captured the imagination and attention of young people in the county and teams were formed and games were played daily, thus eliminating the practice of bridge jumping. Therefore, it is obvious that Thumper is just a bit older than baseball.

We are indeed fortunate to have such an old timer available to recount for us the "old ways":D
    if thumpers like me, it wont be much longer till someone will have to tell us what the good old days was like cause in the end all them ambers is gonna fog our memories....:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    if thumpers like me, it wont be much longer till someone will have to tell us what the good old days was like cause in the end all them ambers is gonna fog our memories....:D
    I wish I could remember. Mine's already fogged.