Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Striper night stalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Striper night stalk

Rango are you anchored or drifting when you are down around the honey hole. I am taking 4 or 5 15year old boys down for a few days hope to try night fishing for striper never tried it before. Got 2 of those Optrinics lights at wallmart yesterday 300,000 cp. Does anyone know any thing about them? What about the shad situation is any body chatching them right now and where? Have not been down in a while and kind of out of touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMG
    Rango are you anchored or drifting when you are down around the honey hole. I am taking 4 or 5 15year old boys down for a few days hope to try night fishing for striper never tried it before. Got 2 of those Optrinics lights at wallmart yesterday 300,000 cp. Does anyone know any thing about them? What about the shad situation is any body chatching them right now and where? Have not been down in a while and kind of out of touch.
    i am drifting. hug the river channel edge anywhere in the honey hole area. use your troller to keep control of the boat. you dont wanna move around fast, just fast enough to put a little bit of an angle from verticle on your lines, (with a 2 oz wt) on your lines. the lights will draw the shad to your boat. you might try throwing your cast net after they start swimming around the lights if you cant find any shad anywhere else. weve been using the big bass minnows.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Had a lot of trouble locating shad last weekend at Wateree.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Had a lot of trouble locating shad last weekend at Wateree.
    was you catfishing or striper fishing?
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

You can catch all the gizzard shad and threadfin you want around the ramps and just off the grass around the edges of the lake. The ramp at June Creek always has golden shiners and big gizzard shad on it at this time of year. The herons will tip you off where they are. If you can throw an 8 foot net decent you don't need to buy shad. Now keeping the boogers alive is another thing altogether.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad

I have had good luck this week catching shad in the back of coves or creeks about 1 hour before sundown. Things are ususally settled down by then and you can see them on top of the water. I have not been getting large amounts, just enough to catfish with. Yeah Catnip I am hooked on catfish now. I have been having decent luck trolling about .4 tp .8 mph in the flat areas 12 to 20 feet deep. The last few nights I have fished the area between June and Rochelle creek. No large fish but enough to get a mess of panfriers.
    Catnip, I had been catching blues until last night, then it seemed to be channels and bullheads. Any idea on why that would change so quickly?

eubanks Guest

last night i caught enough shad to feel a gallon bag, at the mouth of Beaver Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Jebsdaddy

No I can't say why. Last time out I caught about half and half blues and channels without a bullhead. I hope the blues are biting tonight. Most were small 1-3 pounders. Anchored down and got a couple nice blues in the 9-14 range but no super whoppers. I am glad you have the catfish fever--it keeps me out of trouble and on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks we are heading out this morning when we get packed up. Hope to try to get them Sunday night.

Post Thanks / Like

I had been catching blues until last night, then it seemed to be channels and bullheads. Any idea on why that would change so quickly?
    LOCATION ,and bait,and LUCK.MY thoughts after a few days in the area.