Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal or Plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metal or Plastic?

I am going to need a new 6 gallon gas tank and would like to know which do all of you Crappie fisherman prefer Metal or Plastic. I had a plastic tank at one time but forgot to open the vent and the pressure caused the sides of the tank to cave in.

Post Thanks / Like

plastic for me - although had a built in aluminum one time that was fine.

I guess if new and you keep water out it wouldn't matter, but I have nightmares still over all the troubles we had with the first boat when I
    was a kid - metal tanks with rust in the bottom, always carburator problems!

My last boat had plastic portable tank, I always left the vent open and
    would just lay something over it if I got caught out in the rain - but it
    stayed under a shed at home.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

if it is just caved in set it in the sun with the cap off it will pop back out

Post Thanks / Like

I have had bothy and I will definately stick with the plastic tank. IMO it is alot safer and will not rust.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ragfly Jig Man
    I have had bothy and I will definately stick with the plastic tank. IMO it is alot safer and will not rust.
    I agree.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ragfly Jig Man
    I'm with CP I agree
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Metal vs plastic ....

is a tough call.
    I've had or used both ... and they both have "cons". Plastic tanks have a habit of stretching/shrinking (from getting hot, then cooling off) ... which can weaken the seal around the guage, and in turn may allow gas to leak thru (when trailering, or running the lake and hitting waves ... and sloshing the gas around). They also need to be thoroughly washed out, dried out, then vacuumed out (when new, and before being used) ... as they do tend to have plastic "shards/bits" left in them (from the cutting/making process). Metal tanks are aluminum, and shouldn't rust on the inside ... but, they can still get junk inside, which (if you don't have a good filter in place) can cause the jets to stop up. Metal tanks are painted, and the paint chips seem to have a knack of finding their way into the inside of the tank.

In either case, one should remove and clean out/vacuum the interior of the tank, every so often. Keeping them clean - inside and out - is a good way to get the best possible service from either one, whichever one you decide on.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like the plastic ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine's metal, came with the motor. I'll keep it till it gives me a reason to scrap it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I set up my first boat this spring I looked for a loaner tank just to test the engine I was given. A friend of mine had three metal tanks that he’d been given by people who were switching to plastic tanks. I picked out the mint condition 6 gallon with Evinrude fitting – put on 15 feet of fuel line with a primer ball near the engine. Now I’m looking for a deal on a plastic tank to replace the metal one.

The metal tank is rough on the interior of the bow where it sets and another source of metal noise. I put it on chunks of Styrofoam but it eventually cuts it’s way through them. Hey it was free but if I had to buy one I’d go plastic in an aluminum boat. The battery and the fuel tank take up the space between the first two seats on the 14 footer and help spread the weight. A ten horse needs all the help it can get!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast