Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wylie big cat help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wylie big cat help

Hi
    Where would be a good place or good depth to drift for big cats?
    I caught a 5 pounder and I'm getting hooked on the idea of fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

thanks,
    brett w
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

I havent been out in about 2 weeks, but we catch most of our big fish at the upper part of the lake(South fork and above) mostly anchored. From what Ive heard right now fishing stinks compared to what it should be. Good luck
    Cattamer.com

Post Thanks / Like

good advice Billfish. The drift should pick up soon in the creeks for good channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Big fish on Wylie are few and far between. By "big fish" I am talking blues and flatheads over 15 pounds, but for you "big fish" may mean something totally different.

On Wylie you take the big ones when the lake gives them up. If you are only looking for big fish you will spend a lot of days staring at straight rod tips. Even the best laid plans with all the right baits and the right holes only produce big fish 1 out of 10 trips. So, you need to be prepared to come up empty a lot.

Wylie is not like Badin or Monticello, where large numbers of big fish lurk and can be targeted by skilled fishermen. There are some big fish in Wylie, but they are for the patient angler, and most of all, the lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a drift near the Duck Blind out from Beaver Dam Creek. The depth is varied from 10-22 feet. Start near the long point near the mouth of Crowders and drift toward the Duck Blind (marked by 3 buoys mid lake hump). You should get some action there. Drag a sabiki rig sweetened with small strips of blue gill or crappie and you will get some nice white perch too. Have at it and let us know how you did!

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked up sabidi rigs cause I'd never heard of them. There are a lot of them. What style/size would you use for that drift you talked about. Also, where you talking about a night drift or would it be OK in the daylight?
    The drift sounds like fun.
    thanks,
    brett w
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

Catnip,
    one more thing, roughly where are the 3 bouys? straight out from the mouth?
    it's a big creek, the duck blind must on on the south side somewhere?
    thanks agian,
    bw
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

It is out from Beaver Dam Creek. As you look toward the nuke plant south bound from Crowders. #6 hooks work well in the sabiki. This drift is full of up and down structure. A lot of green carpers work this area with spoons and crank baits. The 3 buoys mark a big hump in the middle of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks,
    will check it out.
    bw
    G3PO