Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need drifting tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default need drifting tips

I need someone to give me some tips on drifting for those big cats.i fish at monticello almost every week and over the years I'v caught alot drifting but 80% are 8 pounds and under. I must be doing something wrong cause i hear to many people talking about how many 20's and 30's they get on a regular bases there while drifting somebody help.

Post Thanks / Like

Big bait and alot of patience.Monticello is different than most lakes, theres to many little fish so useing small baits will get mostly small fish.Driftin is better for big ones from August to December.Dont be scared of probeing thru 120 foot of water either.I like the humps that top out at 40 to 60 foot and drop off into 80 or more.Question is though are you suspended driftin or draggin the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

well the rigs i use is a slinky weight and a cork then my hook and the way i was told the weight drags the bottom and the cork will bring my bait off the bottom,but i dont know thats the way this fellow taught me to drift but alot off people told me they just drop there bait beside the boat fishing about a foot or two off bottom. how about using bream down there? i never had luck there, like i do at wateree.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the same way I do it, is draggin the bottom.Bream will work fine so will white perch, crappie and gizzard shad.Its still not quite right for catchin big ones driftin just yet.Theres still some good ones being caught but not peak time just yet.Sounds like you got it down pat maybe just change up on baits and maybe location.

Post Thanks / Like

hey bo, thanks for your help i'll try your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

also pay attention to your drifting speed,you dont wanna be drifting to fast,best range is from .5 to .8 mph,if you are going to fast use a drift sock to slow you down,if there is no wind you can always use the trolling motor to push you along,other than that,listen to what chris is telling ya,he is one heck of a good catfisherman,if ya got the bucks,i would suggest booking you a trip with him and he can show you alot about how to catch monty catfish

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have you on board BIG CHAD hope you learn some pointers and can remember them cause I need all the help I can GET.