Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sonar displays @ 40 times per second. How fast do I go to see the bottom at realtime?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sonar displays @ 40 times per second. How fast do I go to see the bottom at realtime?

What I mean is the info says my 565 returns realtime signals @ 40 times per second. What is my top speed before I get ahead of the returns?
    Yall math guys might can help me..one reason I quit doing electrical work..I hate E= I x R...
    thanks
    Smitty

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

cant help you there smitty. i got a formula that works good on map reading but not for sonar......
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

i would think when you exceed the speed of the read ,the unit blanks out. or at least mine does.{lcx 18c} and because of the cone effect it would be different at diff deapths. but i got a formula too. 1 part ice 1 part coke{cola} + 2}3} parts jack{daniels} ! makes the screen look all purdy!

Post Thanks / Like

IF you are in 30 ft of water and your cone angle is 20 degrees you would have to travel about 273 miles per hour to miss any bottom contour. Assuming your return rate is 40 per second. IF you had a 9 degree cone angle you would need to slow down to 136 miles per hour. Field test these numbers and let me know if my math is correct.
    If it was easy...everyone would be doing it..
    ..Mark..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Obtw

If your unit is going blank above a certain speed it's probably one of two things. Something on the bottom of the boat is producing bubbles that is interfering with the transducer or the transducer is angled wrong and causing interference itself. I have had boats that would travel at 80+ miles an hour and the depth finders worked fine. Lowrance's web site has a good right up on these problems. And there reps will be glad to help if you call them.
    If it was easy...everyone would be doing it..
    ..Mark..