Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor torque problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor torque problems?

I have a 90 Mercury on a 17' eXpress. My steering pulls hard to the right. I have changed the small fin above the prop from one exream to the other. Nothing makes that much of a difference. When the motor is trimmed up it does not do it near as much. Could this be a steering cable problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "If you think your dealing with a buncha dumb 'ol country boys, you got another thing coming!"

Post Thanks / Like

Engine could be set too low on the transom. raise engine one bolt hole and try that. Engine could not be centered on transom. you don't have a cable problem, they don't cause that kind of problem.

is this a new rig, or did you buy it used?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a small tiller motor and it pulled hard to the right, so I tilted it up and it quit. It just about has to be the motor positioning. Like willsjwills said, it may need to be raised on the transom or centered.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check your mount where it bolts on to the boat. Something could be broke or loose and you don't want your motor to wind up at the bottom of the lake.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If mine is to high it pulls one way and if it's to low it pulls the other way... The dealer had to add a wedge on my boat so I could find that sweet spot. Then it's max speed, RPM's, and no pulling right or left.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

if it just started check the skeg at the bottom of the motor i had one that did the same thing and the skeg had got bent to the right while unloading, it can be just a 1/4 inch and it will do just what you describe , hope this helps good luck