Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with clear water fishing @ Reel Foot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with clear water fishing @ Reel Foot

I will be coming up to Reel Foot in October to fish the Crappiemaster Classic. I have never fished in clear water for crappie before. As my handle indicates I'm from MS and our water is far from clear. Also most of the fish I catch are white crappie and I would guess most of the crappie in Reel Foot would be black crappie. May be wrong just a guess. Anyway can some of you guys who fish this lake give me some pointers. I just want to make sure I have the tackle and set-up needed to catch fish. I currently am set up for trolling using 14 foot B&M trolling poles, I jig fish, and troll crankbaits. I hear people fish using 20 foot trolling poles. Is this necessary or will my 14 footers be fine.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

when i fished reelfoot it was far from being clear you can slo troll but as far as longlining and pulling cranks that is out of the question you will loose evert thing you have it is full of stumps in the area i fished lower blue basin
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

I never considered the "foot" to be clear water but compared to some lakes it might be clearer.
    I have never trolled with cranks there but there are many stumps. I know of a couple of places where I think I could troll but to me " no stumps no fish" at the foot.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

We're gonna be making the trip in October for the first time and I was wondering what the "navagation" is going to be like....I know there are a LOT of trees and stumps but can you move around on the lake without messing up your boat??? I have a 16 foot aluminum bass tracker and a Stratos 217 and would really like to take the bigger fiberglass boat since it is setup much better, has so much more room, and handles the wind much better but don't want to ruin my trip by tearing my boat up....Thanks for your help...

Post Thanks / Like

Things to remember at the Foot.

Go slow....... lots of stumps, 217 will be ok. You will bump it several times.

14' foot poles will work (average depth 5') You can
    fish them but bring a long handle net. I use 10's and 12's and they work great.

Water is most of the time Green about 1' - 2' vis. anything w/ chartruse

Be prepared for the wind, odds are it will blow, it always blows.

Trolling Cranks.. Heard of people doing but I don't buy it. To much
    to hang up on.

October fish usually be suspended 6 ft deep in 10 - 12 foot of water.

Don't know how it will effect fish in the fall but the water is a foot below norm and they are working on the spillway and I don't know if they will have it pulled down any. Last week I went and I hit more stumps in one trip than I have all year. but caught fish early. Hang it up by 9.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the info Cracker....I've always looked at the ads in the back of magazines and wanted to fish at Reelfoot just wish it wasn't gonna be a week when 200 other boats decided to do the same thing....

Post Thanks / Like

miss. slab .....pm me pointers on sardis on Aug. 25 to qualify us for reelfoot and i can prob. help you
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Au tiger id bring my big boat there are a bunch fiberglass boats on that lake now. the trick is drive slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. 6 mph is way plenty just because you see somebody hammered down dont mean follow. they are either new to the lake or they fished there all their life and know every stump.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A stump that I have used for a marker for years, moved on me this year, probaly 100 yards. I figure some storms moved it. But I see trees that have fallen in and float around and you will never see them till you hit them.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've decided to bring my small boat..it will be pretty cramped but I'd truly hate to start my fishing season by tearing up my big boat..we won't be running anywhere but it's still not worth the worry...I imagine that if they a turnout anything like last year there will be boats everywhere it seems...I've always looked at the ads in the back of magazines and wanted to visit the lake....at this point I'm just hoping we have a good week of fishing and can enjoy the tournament regardless of the outcome in the tourney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast