Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about rods

Canadian_Crappy Guest

Question question about rods

Hey guys,
    I have a question about the Sam Heaton Signature Series Jig Poles...
    I'm looking for something that I can use to cast small weighted floats a good distance, and I'm wondering whether a 12-foot SHS pole would be good for it...? Are these long poles acceptable for casting, and if so what would be the weight limitation (1/16th oz)??

Thanks for the advice and good fishin'

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They use them for casting in Mississippi all the time. If you fish below the dams at Sardis, Enid or Grenada, about 75% are using long poles with 2 jigs and a float. They cast and slow retrieve.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a jig pole that I thought would make a good rod for casting floats. The actions are too soft for my taste. I prefer rods similar to this one at Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pean&noImage=0

I have an older version of this rod. I have used rods like this for over 10 years for casting floats. They're a little heavier than the typical jig pole, but that's because they have a much stronger butt section.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 07-09-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally if I am casting I like a shorter rod, but maybe that is just me. I use several that are pretty short Ultra Lights, but my main rods are 6 1/2' and 7' that Use for casting.

For a reasonable mid price very good rod check out a Falcon.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I think a 12 foot rod might be a little bulky and wear you out fairly quick. I like a 8 to 10 foot pole. You can can cast 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz jigs more than enough with them even in the wind, but I wouldn't go below an 8 footer. Just my $.02.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Canadian_Crappy Guest

Cool

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I just wanted to make sure that the pole is suitable for casting and not just "placing" the bait in a given spot. I think I'll go with the 10-foot version rather than the 12.

Good fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

What ever pole you get, if your going to be casting floaters with it, make sure it has the larger guides on it. With the larger guides, your bobber stop can easily go through the guides. If you get one with the smaller guides, the bobber stop will hang up in the guides. B&M has a new line of rods called the Crappie Wizard poles. All of them have the larger guides. These poles are not on their web site just yet, but you can call them and ask for them. The number there is 1-800-647-6363. There are three different lengths of these rods. 7.5 foot, 10 foot, and 12 foot and all of them have the larger guides. If you have any trouble finding them, send me a PM and I can get them for you.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using 6' UL St Croixs' for casting jigs under a float, but I've been wanting to go up in length to something in the 7'-8' range.
    Any brand/rod strength suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Cabela's "European Live Bait Rod" It is heavier than I like for vertical jigging and the handle is a bit long.
    But for casting live bait under a float, it's great. My 6 1/2 foot UL St Croix is a dream for casting jigs... I'd have another one or two but the Avid series is pricy.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Microp ....

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides
    I've been using 6' UL St Croixs' for casting jigs under a float, but I've been wanting to go up in length to something in the 7'-8' range.
    Any brand/rod strength suggestions?
    you might want to check these out : http://www.bnmpoles.com/index.cfm?fu...TOKEN=24031546

FnF fishing is their primary function - and FnF fishing is simply put, a jig under a float :p

And, as Weezer pointed out ... his Crappie Wizard poles (now sold by BnM) have the larger guides, which do make a difference when using slip floats/bobber stops.

.... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast