Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Creek Reservoir Spawning Areas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little Creek Reservoir Spawning Areas

I've been studying the topo map of LCR looking for possible yellow perch, shellcracker, and crappie spawning areas (larger flats in 2 to 20 feet of water) and have identified around 10 areas of interest. I have only scouted two of the potential areas in the past. The fishing on the peninsula is still pretty slow so I may go to LCR to scout some of the areas I'm not familiar with this weekend. I would not want to put Bill H on a spot that is not productive when we go there in June for shellcrackers.:o

I did manage to get out to Chickahominy Reservior on Tuesday afternoon. The water temperature was 50-55 degrees, was as clear as I've ever seen it, and it was a beautiful day. The lady at Ed Allens said that the crappie were biting really well in the deep holes just after the ice melted but have since turned off. They have only been taking a few from shallow water. I hit both of the deeper holes in the reservoir as well as the warmer shallow water in Johnson and Lacey Creeks and only managed one 18" chain pickerel above the weed remnants in the back of Johnson Creek.

The day was a success though. The weather was fantastic, I was not at work, and I was able to improve my boats performance 2 mph (11%) by shifting some of the weight around (added a 40 pound trolling motor to the bow) and trimming the outboard to the next higher hole. This had the added benefit of keeping better bottom lock with the depth finder while on plane. It only lost lock when the water was less than 4 feet deep and that only happened a couple of times for a very short period of time. Now I can see brush piles when I'm on plane if I happen to pass over one! I'm looking forward to getting back to Kerr to search for some of the brush piles that are not supposed to be there.
    Last edited by PanMan_VA; 02-17-2005 at 09:02 PM.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to worry Keith. At least that day I'll have someone else to blame the no catchems on LOL. I'm going to take an assortment of Grubco's baits with me when we go to Kerr. I've never tried them before. Seems like shellcrackers ought to like those too. Just thinking again. Damn, I've got to quit that!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I hope yall are not planning to keep all those shellcracker spots to yourselves.That would not be nice!
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could make this a Virginia Crappie.com get together??

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

That would work! Also, since you are gonna be at Bugg's Island in march, maybe we could plan to meet at the Buffalo ramp at a designated time on one weekend day.
    Maybe we could even get Dave to show. ( HINT, HINT )
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Default grubco

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Not to worry Keith. At least that day I'll have someone else to blame the no catchems on LOL. I'm going to take an assortment of Grubco's baits with me when we go to Kerr. I've never tried them before. Seems like shellcrackers ought to like those too. Just thinking again. Damn, I've got to quit that!!
    hey bill

I noticed the link on the home page for the grubco's, haven't used them myself, but have you had any luck ordering them online in the past, I was considering the wax worms.

Thanks

Mike
    mike (papermouth scaler)

it's cold.. it's raining....it's too windy...
    "fish on!!!"
    (What a great day for fishing) lol.

Post Thanks / Like

As of right now, you can count me in for both. I need to travel to Florida and Texas for work in March, but should be home on the weekends.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    That would work! Also, since you are gonna be at Bugg's Island in march, maybe we could plan to meet at the Buffalo ramp at a designated time on one weekend day.
    Maybe we could even get Dave to show. ( HINT, HINT )
    I know Buffalo creek quite well but I know nothing about Grassy creek. That is suppose to be a good one too. Dave has already offered to steer us in the right direction.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papermouth scaler
    hey bill

I noticed the link on the home page for the grubco's, haven't used them myself, but have you had any luck ordering them online in the past, I was considering the wax worms.

Thanks

Mike

Check the link out Mike. You can get an assortment for like 10 bucks. That is what I'm planning on trying for the first time.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I would like to get in on a get-together. That Buggs thing sounds especially nice. I want to learn something about Buggs. I need to put all this junk (uh, I mean gear) to use.

Dayton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast