Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: weather and Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default weather and Crappie

I was planning on making a trip to toledobend this Sat. and Sun but a mild front came through Wed night and there is another mild front coming through sometime early next week. What do yall think would it be worth the trip? All info appreciated. Thanks
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    I was planning on making a trip to toledobend this Sat. and Sun but a mild front came through Wed night and there is another mild front coming through sometime early next week. What do yall think would it be worth the trip? All info appreciated. Thanks
    Sacalait are caught at the Chicken Coop during some of the coldest weather of the year. Last year during our annual tournament at the bend a cold front had came through and it was raining. We trolled in the coves until we found the fish and then caught just about all day. It was slow but we caught some nice fish.
    The only thing that would stop me from fishing the bend this weekend would be the wind. It can get dangerous on the lake during a high wind
    Get some shiners and try trolling until you hook up on some fish and then work the area real slow.

A lot of the landings or marinas put structure in their coves for the quests to fish. Try the coves first. And ask the landing operator. They will be glad to show you where the structure is. (If you buy some bait from them)
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would see a problem with will be how much rain there will be and how heavy. TB is not very fun to be on when the wind is blowing 90 to nothing and raining toad frogs. But, my thoughts are the fish don't care if it's raining or the wind is blowing. It's really a matter of what you can stand. I don't like to miss an opportunity to fish wherever it is. I know I will be on my home waters this weekend reguardless of the weather. Gookd luck on whatever your decision may be.

A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is to go fishing no mater the weather unless, like the others have said, avoid the windy main lake if thats the case. Time off work don't count unless you go fishing!
    I used to Perch fish on the north end of the lake and do pretty well. At the time I was mainly a Bass fisherman so I only did it to get a few fish to fry up and then went back to my old vice. I have fished stumps along the edge of the main channel this time of year with jigs and minnows and done pretty well. Also along the edge of deep creeks that run into the main channel. Every stump you see usually has the remains of a tree down there somewhere so I fish anything I can tie to in mild wind. If its fairly calm, I just use my trolling motor to hold over structure. I'd set two or three rods out at different depths and after catching one or two move all to the same depth. Ususally 8 to 15 feet over deeper water but just off the edge of the main channel. I think there should be fish on this patern for a month or so more. I had a man tell me today that in the month of March, when he finds Hydrilla beds that are three to four feet below the surface. They drift with swimming tail jigs and lip hooked shinners ever these beds and have been catching them this way for years. Finding the Hydrill is the problem.
    I'm heading to Lake of the Pines tomorrow afternoon and fish into the night. The wind is gonna blow and its gonna rain but I'm going. If you wait for perfect weather you never will go. Usually its not as bad as they predict and fishing can be bad during good weather. Percher
    Last edited by percher; 02-17-2005 at 05:28 PM.