Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Info for Black River Lake

possum Guest

Default Info for Black River Lake

New to area,would like any information about Black River Lake, Horseshoe and Cross Bayou

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black River/Horseshoe Lakes complex

Quote Originally Posted by possum
    New to area,would like any information about Black River Lake, Horseshoe and Cross Bayou
    Hey Possum. Welcome to the Louisiana board. I'm looking at Black River Lake as I'm writing this. The lake is high and MUDDY, here where I live, but with 42 miles of water way, you probably can find some clearer water. This is one of the best all around fishing lakes in this part of the state. It's probably the deepest at 50 feet+. Most of our landlocked lakes around here are a gazillion years old and rarely exceed 20 feet. The fish should be staging just off the shallows at this time of year. We've had pretty warm weather lately. The surface water temps are running 58 to 62 degrees. I've been picking up a few here and there but haven't gotten into them heavy. If this warm weather holds up, they should be on the banks by March 1. They are full of eggs right now. There's a boat ramp on Workinger Bayou, between B.R.L. and Horseshoe that is centrally located. Word of advice on Horseshoe Lake, be carefull, it has a lot of stumps, hidden just under the water. They are rough on your prop. Stay lined up with the bayou as you enter Hosrshoe, until you get out in it a couple of hundred yards and you should be clear. Good luck.---Pooch

possum Guest

Default Thanks Pooch

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    Hey Possum. Welcome to the Louisiana board. I'm looking at Black River Lake as I'm writing this. The lake is high and MUDDY, here where I live, but with 42 miles of water way, you probably can find some clearer water. This is one of the best all around fishing lakes in this part of the state. It's probably the deepest at 50 feet+. Most of our landlocked lakes around here are a gazillion years old and rarely exceed 20 feet. The fish should be staging just off the shallows at this time of year. We've had pretty warm weather lately. The surface water temps are running 58 to 62 degrees. I've been picking up a few here and there but haven't gotten into them heavy. If this warm weather holds up, they should be on the banks by March 1. They are full of eggs right now. There's a boat ramp on Workinger Bayou, between B.R.L. and Horseshoe that is centrally located. Word of advice on Horseshoe Lake, be carefull, it has a lot of stumps, hidden just under the water. They are rough on your prop. Stay lined up with the bayou as you enter Hosrshoe, until you get out in it a couple of hundred yards and you should be clear. Good luck.---Pooch

possum Guest

Pooch, Thanks for the advise on Black River Lake. We bought a camp last summer so I have not fished the spring yet. I grew up catfishing on the Mississippi River so I'm still learning about crappie. Again, thanks for the advise. Possum

Post Thanks / Like

Default possum you must be from ruth ms

Quote Originally Posted by possum
    Pooch, Thanks for the advise on Black River Lake. We bought a camp last summer so I have not fished the spring yet. I grew up catfishing on the Mississippi River so I'm still learning about crappie. Again, thanks for the advise. Possum
    When did they get computers out that far????

Post Thanks / Like

Default keep us posted

pooch I am from the same area as possum I hope you will keep us posted on the black river complex conditions. We always come over in the spring and wade fish in horeshoe. We have a camp on black just up from where the bayou comes in..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coachmhs98
    pooch I am from the same area as possum I hope you will keep us posted on the black river complex conditions. We always come over in the spring and wade fish in horeshoe. We have a camp on black just up from where the bayou comes in..

I took a ride yesterday to check the lake out. The southern end of the lake, where I live, is very muddy. It's a little better on the north end of the lake. This was a last minute run, before I headed back to work, and I didn't try the fish. It's time though, even if it's muddy and the fish should be moving on the bank and pretty easy to find. The water has been high and fresh and this always slows them down, but it has fallen about three feet and should stablize soon, if we don't get another downpour. I may slip home for the weekend and if I do, I'm gonna hit them hard.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Our spring holidays are coming soon and I will be coming that way.
    keep us posted
    thanks