Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Coastal Waters.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Louisiana Coastal Waters.....

Hey, guys....I'm planning a trip to "Happy Jack" down below New Orleans for some specks and redfish and need some help with what baits to use for each. I haven't fished for them since 1969 and I know there are better lures than we had back then. I'm heading out Friday afternoon about 2:00 pm.for the weekend. If anyone could recommend a few lures, I would sure like to hear them. I'm sure we will be using live bait, too, but I would also like to try a few artificials. Thanks......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Hey, guys....I'm planning a trip to "Happy Jack" down below New Orleans for some specks and redfish and need some help with what baits to use for each. I haven't fished for them since 1969 and I know there are better lures than we had back then. I'm heading out Friday afternoon about 2:00 pm.for the weekend. If anyone could recommend a few lures, I would sure like to hear them. I'm sure we will be using live bait, too, but I would also like to try a few artificials. Thanks......

These bayou chubs by reaction lures in the LSU colors (purple with yellow tail) are very good in the marsh areas. Tight line these lures like working a worm, then hold on!!!
    I'd rather be fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Try something called a spec-tacular. There are many different name brands (speckline, speculizer, ect.) It is a popping cork designed for specks and reds. I like to take the bait off that comes with it and put a DOA shrimp on it. You can also try different colored Sparkle Beetle under this rig. I have caught many trout and reds this year on these rigs. Just cast and pop twice in a row quickly and pause then repeat.

good luck
    basinfisher

Post Thanks / Like

Default SacalaitSlammer and basinfisher.....

Thanks to both of you for the advise and help. I will be making a trip to BPS thursday to pick up some lures, at least I know now what to buy. Good luck to both of you, and keep those posts coming in......

Post Thanks / Like

labill, there are several good lures to use for specs and reds. Some of the best are the DOA shrimp, the different types of art. shad (the ones that are pre packaged with the hook in the lure) I don't remember the correct name for them, also the art. cochaoes. All of these lures can be purchased at Wal-Mart in the Lake Charles area if you can't find them anywhere else. I live at Calcasieu Lake and they said they have been catching reds lately. Drop me an e-mail and I will try to keep you posted. Good Luck
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking website

labill there is a great website with alot of info. The site is www.rodnreel.com. They also have a great tide chart that has worked very well for me.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Default shadow.....

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    labill, there are several good lures to use for specs and reds. Some of the best are the DOA shrimp, the different types of art. shad (the ones that are pre packaged with the hook in the lure) I don't remember the correct name for them, also the art. cochaoes. All of these lures can be purchased at Wal-Mart in the Lake Charles area if you can't find them anywhere else. I live at Calcasieu Lake and they said they have been catching reds lately. Drop me an e-mail and I will try to keep you posted. Good Luck

Welcome to crappie.com and the LA board. Glad to have another member.

I've heard of the DOA brand, but I haven't been salt water fishing in many years. Thanks for the input, I need all the help I can get. As you may have read in the previous posts, we have already gotten a guide in the area below N.O. in a place called Happy Jack, one of the guys on the trip has already used him, and says he is good. I'll drop you an email, and after, I will check out the website you sent. Just one question...What is a "cochaoe" and what does it look like? Thanks again for your help......

Post Thanks / Like

Default shadow....

Great website.....made a note of the tides on the 19th to make sure we got the best chance. This isn't the best time of the season, but I'll take what I can get. Low tide will be @ 6:11 am and high @ 7:17 pm. Will those times be bad for the 19th? I don't have a clue where tides are concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Post la bill

This site is for a great guide below Houma,La
    w/reports http://www.captlake.com/
    You may also check-- huntnfish.com or rod&reel.com --which are excellent sites for reports of the N.O.--- Venice areas. There is a guide on huntnfish that has a special until Feb. If you are using a guide; they usually furnish everything except drinks and lunch. Make sure to ask the guides on what to bring and what they furnish. If you use theirs it will usually be the best.
    There are lots of baits out there as well as live baits. Get a heavy action rod with a good line about 20lb test and a bait casting or open face spinning reel. The trout can be caught on lighter line up the reds have busted a lot of rig ups. Also check your line after each fish as res love to be around oyster reefs and there mouth will also chew up line. Hope this helps and good fishing, BBeaux
    PS a chochoae is a 3-4 inch black minnow and is fished just like a shiner, only for heavier fish
    Last edited by BeauxBeaux; 02-15-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Beaux. I did check out the rodnreel.com site and got the tidal times for this Saturday. Don't know how to use them, but I'm hoping the guide will...lol. Thanks again....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast