Haven't been able to get back for over a year, so I can't remember the name of the place, but....

There's a motel on the shore of the east side of the lower basin- about 10 rooms facing the highway- and there's a big fishing pier behind it stretching straight out about 40 feet. There are flood lamps mounted along the sides and end at regular intervals, and at night the feeding frenzy was like something out of Kafka. Millions of bugs hitting the water, millions of minnows and small fry swarming on them... But the cool part, and the part that ended up making it seriously creepy, were the shapes flashing just at the edge of the lights. Most were in the 24" inch range, but every now and then something much, much bigger would slash in and out of the shadows.

It was the first and last time I was there, and I was both out of minnows and, frankly, kind've scared to cast any lures into the bloodbath. I'm planning a trip back up to the lake, and wondered if anybody knows of the place, if it's worth staying there, and if it's worth casting out to the edge of the lights at night. I know there were a heck of a lot of gar involved, but some of the shapes could have been catfish, bass, and crappie...

Anyone got any help?

p.s.- never saw any of the dreaded night-cottonmouths, but if you'd seen the size of some of those bronze blurs bending the water at the shadow-line, you wouldn't have been surprised about the snake shortage.