Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Sandy/KY Lake Report...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Sandy/KY Lake Report...

Just wondered if any of y'all had fished there lately? I fished in Britton Ford and Swamp a week ago Monday. Caught some really nice specks in 11-15' of water on minnows and Grizzly Rigs. Had a few fish hit my jig pole.

Later,
    cypress
    "I fish...therefore I lie." Where's the Copenhagen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Sandy/KY Lake Report...

Cypress,

We did very well this weekend, Saturday 32, Sunday 27, and Monday 34. All the fish come out of 10’ – 16’ of water with the baits around a foot off the bottom. Best baits were TeeZur 3/32 white head with red eyes and Orange/Chart skirt, 3/32 white head with red eyes and Red/white skirt and 3/32 white head with red eyes with a white/chart skirt (Sunny Day) Saturday all jigs were tipped with a minnow, Sunday was Half minnows and Crappie nibbles and Monday was all nibbles. We did catch a few on straight minnows. Try fishing North of the power lines were there is deep ledge next to a shallow flat. Try the flat early in the morning and then move deep as the day progresses. Hope this helps.

PS: Watch and follow the Loons!

KYLCrappie
    "That's a Keeper"
    That's a KEEPER!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished Monday (morning). Fished mostly drops out from Mansard Island. 12-16 foot. Used KY Lake rig. Minnows were my meal ticket.

Kylcrappie and I were not too far from each other based on his report.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 05-29-2007 at 06:56 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shark Blade

HEH TOM--- FREEZE SOME OF THEM FISH AND SEND THEM UP--I,LL TRY MY NEW SHARK BLADE THAT I DON,T GET TO USE MUCH UP HERE, IF IT WORKS GOOD I MAY SEND SOME FILLETS BACK TO YOU --
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I am planning on taking off work this Friday and fishing those areas. KY do you spider rig or long line? I spider rig 99% of the time.

Later,
    cypress
    "I fish...therefore I lie." Where's the Copenhagen?

Post Thanks / Like

Do many folks pull CB's up there? The few times i've been up there not many folks spider rig. Seems like most folks had their tops marked, pulled up on them and dropped their jig down to the cover. It's a beautiful lake fairly convienent but i have had so much trouble getting on fish i don't go that way often. I would love to learn more about that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Sandy Crank Bait

FishPole
    We do pull crank baits from June till August, The hotter the better. First you need to locate your depths from 12' - 14' I like flats near deep ledges. and I try not to go North of the power lines in Big Sandy. One reason is pleasure boaters and Jets skies. I like to pull in front of the power lines going south. One thing to remember is, When your pulling NEVER NEVER go faster than 1.5 mph keep the speed from 1.3 to 1.5mph. Colors range from Fire tiger, Mistake, Chrome Black, Chrome Blue and Red. Also I like to use 20 to 25# test line bright yellow. That way I can see my lines at 75 - 100 yards when I make a turn. Hope this helps. One more thing if you don't have a troll plate on the motor, Use two five gallon buckets with approx 10 1/4" holes drilled in the bottom. This should slow you down to 1.5 mph with your big motor running. If there's anything else I can help with drop me an email at [email protected].

Thanks,
    KYLCrappie
    That's a KEEPER!

Post Thanks / Like

i can pull 1.5 mph with my trolling motor, i use 8 lb pline yellow florescent and seem to get 14 deep if i have a 100 ft or more out. Have done well at sardis like that 5 to 6 good fish an hour most of the time. Will try Big sandy next month if i get a chance thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw my .02 in on the crank baits. I guess what want work for one will work for another. I use 10 lb line and never go below 1.5 I always run between 1.5 and 2.2. I use both 200 and 300 bandits depending on the depth of water or the depth of the fish. I have been doing very well the past month or so on the Big Sandy with cranks. We have been keeping between 30 to 45 each trip fishing until about 11am or until the boat traffic gets bad.. We usually troll from the 1st of May thru July. On the way up there in about 5 minutes:D
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -