Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: moon phase?

Post Thanks / Like

Default moon phase?

hello all

Just curious if anyone uses the moon phase system ; fish three days before a new moon or three days after etc.., I do believe water temperture play a vital roll as far as fish movement, even feeding, but the moon phase is something that has been iffy with me.
    I notice a lot of major fish club mags still publish these reports, religiously, But, hmmm, I would go with water temperture more than moon phase.
    Just wondering if anyone had any luck following these charts for fish activity.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

it's cold.. it's raining....it's too windy...
    "fish on!!!"
    (What a great day for fishing) lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool moon phase...

..I only look at as an after thought...when i make notes in fishing journal...sometimes if i remember to look before I'll try to be on water during best times...have seen no evidence to speak of...
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papermouth scaler
    hello all

Just curious if anyone uses the moon phase system ; fish three days before a new moon or three days after etc.., I do believe water temperture play a vital roll as far as fish movement, even feeding, but the moon phase is something that has been iffy with me.
    I notice a lot of major fish club mags still publish these reports, religiously, But, hmmm, I would go with water temperture more than moon phase.
    Just wondering if anyone had any luck following these charts for fish activity.
    Although I keep track of the moon phase in my log, I really never paid much attention to it. I've got about 3 years of entries now. I guess I need to take a closer look at it and see what I can come up with.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I think moon phase plays a big part in spawning cycles, we find spawning crappies every year in April in the same places on a full moon even if the weather is bad, and feeding cycles during periods of stable weather, i.e. summer and winter. During periods of unstable weather I think the fish will not feed as much even if the tables say so. One of the creeks that we bridge fish during the summer months produces more big crappies during the full moon cycle than any other time, but it is a tidal creek with more flow during that time of the month. My advice is to fish every chance you can and keep a detailed log book and then ignore the log book and fish every chance you can.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe
    I think moon phase plays a big part in spawning cycles, we find spawning crappies every year in April in the same places on a full moon even if the weather is bad, and feeding cycles during periods of stable weather, i.e. summer and winter. During periods of unstable weather I think the fish will not feed as much even if the tables say so. One of the creeks that we bridge fish during the summer months produces more big crappies during the full moon cycle than any other time, but it is a tidal creek with more flow during that time of the month. My advice is to fish every chance you can and keep a detailed log book and then ignore the log book and fish every chance you can.
    That works for me!! LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have kept a log for 5 years and it usually provides more questions than answers.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Roger that guys
    "read less, fish more"
    Got it !!
    mike (papermouth scaler)

it's cold.. it's raining....it's too windy...
    "fish on!!!"
    (What a great day for fishing) lol.