Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Caught a few on yoyo,s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught a few on yoyo,s

I decided to bait up my yoyo's on Turkey Creek late yesterday. Didnt exactly wear em out but did manage to come home with a nice mess, half were a pound +. If the water will start falling they should realy start to turn on. I may bait up again tomorrow and ill let yall know if things pick up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Its Just Something About That BUMP

desgroovier Guest

Default Re: YoYo's

Looks like a nice mess of white perch. I fished Turkey Creek twice last year, and am looking forward to returning. I just started fishing two years ago and really enjoy it. I live in Dunn, so I'm pretty close to a lot of good water. The problem is I work in Texas, so its a little hard to make time to do all the things I want to do when I'm home. Luckily, my wife absolutely loves to fish, so it's not hard to get a trip together when I am home. I'm also new to this site and am glad to find a few N. La. contributors to keep me current on the fishing conditions around home.

Post Thanks / Like

Post re: yo-yo,s

That sure is some nice sac a lait. Could u explain how to set the yo-yo. I plan on putting some out but have never used the before. How deep do U place them and what bait did u use. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeauxBeaux
    That sure is some nice sac a lait. Could u explain how to set the yo-yo. I plan on putting some out but have never used the before. How deep do U place them and what bait did u use. Thanks.

I use shiners for bait and fish em right under the surface. I like to just get the swivel just under the water. If its calm I like to tie the yoyo about 1' to 2' above the waters surface. If its windy I tie the yoyo about 6" above the water this will keep it from blowing my bait out of the water since I fish it so shallow.

Where I mainly fish em I set up in clusters of cypress trees (7 or more in a 10 yard circle) near drop offs. If not in a cypress lake I just tie em to branches along the bank or tree tops.

If you wont to catch catfish you can get some small crawfish (2" long) and fish em 1' to 3' deep and should not have any trouble getting more than you care to dress. My neighbor 2 years ago caught a 30 lb. opalusas on one in the Tensas River he was baiting with shiners though but they will handel a large fish. Hope this helps Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking Crappie. It makes me want to take off and hit the water. My wife last night said I needed to take off and go. What she really meant was for me to take off and take her. She would go everyday if I was off. Looks like I might have to try the old yo-yo myself. I have an elderly gentleman friend that has been wanting me to put out some yo-yo with him. I think by looking at your pics that I might need to take him up on his offer. Good Luck Fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info tight line. I have ran lots of trotlines but the yo-yo deal is the first. The people in Alex. told me about catching fish with them but I have never tried but I bought a dozen to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you guys get the yo-yo's?
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Wal-Mart sells em up here for $20 a doz.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing about the yo-yo's. You will notice that it has 2 notches, one has a deeper notch than the other. I always set in the "less deep" notch for crappie and the deeper one for catfish.
    One thing I do that is different than Tightline; I like to keep my yo-yo's farther from the water. Not sure if it really helps, but, my theory is to get the fish out of the water and have less chance of them un-hooking them selves. Also the farther the line is out, it seems to have a stronger pull on the caught fish. This may all be a crock, but it's just how we do it.
    We do set with shinners and set them just below the water surface like Tightline does. Don't know if it's right but, I have always been told that way you catch crappie. If you set them deeper, you stand to catch other stuff as well.
    I plan on setting my 2 dozen tonight in front of the house. :D