Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Results of trip to Douglas 5/12/07 - Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Results of trip to Douglas 5/12/07 - Trolling

Made it to Douglas Saturday 5/12/07. Caught about 35 crappies with a mixed bag of other fish as well. Caught all of them trolling in Muddy Creek with crank baits and road runners, a few on wobble eyes. White and chartreuse was the best color over all. Fish were in a post spawn pattern suspended over creek channels, long points and humps in 8 - 12 feet of water. Surface temp was almost 80 degrees. I fished from 7:30AM until about 1:30PM. Boat traffic was picking up so I left the fish biting. I cleaned 12 keepers when I got back to JC. All of the fish were females and they still had eggs. I have seen this so many times and I still don't understand it completely. Some fish just simply don't spawn. According to a biologist I talked to some years back, fish can actually absorb the eggs back into thier own bodies. They benefit from the protien. I guess if the conditions aren't just right, they choose not to drop the eggs. If the conditions stay the same over the next week or so, I would imagine you could continue to catch some nice crappies doing the same thing I did.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job killer we fished the regional tournament on cherokee this saturday
    fish were the same way over there a lot of them still had eggs we caught ours slow trolling live bait rigs in 17ft of water
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

This is the second year in a row that a lot of crappies didnt spawn. Water levels were screwed up last year and again this year. Time will tell if this actually will effect the numbers of fish.