Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: landing net for banks fishing?

CouchTater Guest

Question landing net for banks fishing?

Does anyone here use a landing net when they are fishing from the bank? I'm not so much thinking about dedicated catch & release as I am just getting the small fry back into the water reasonably healthy, and getting keepers on ice safely. But a net with a 2 or 3 ft handle would add one more awkward thing to carry. Are they worth it?

FISH4DUG Guest

When Walleye Fishing I Use A Net, Because Of The Teeth And Gills It Is Not Recomended To Grab Them, I Use A Cheap Wallmart Net With A 3 Foot Handle, I Tie A Bunjee Cord Around The Handle And Have The Net Hung Around My Neck And Under My Arm, I Am Usually Wading However This Is A Very Effective Way To Net Fish, Keeper Or Not, It Lets You Have Both Hands To Remove The Hook,i Also Have A Tape Measure On The Handle,at M,ost Systems In Kansas We Have A 18 Inch On Walleye And A 10 Inch On Crappie,you Generaly Dont Need Anet For 10 Inch Crappie, But When You Hook A 2 Plus On 4 Pound Test And Your 1/32 Jig Is Just Barely Hooked In The Bottom Corner Of The Big Paper Mouth, You Will Be Glad You Have A Net Strapped To Your Back. For Most Applications A Trout Net That Is About 18 Inches Long Will Work For Crappie.i Dont Know When I Might Catch A Walleye So I Do Prefer The Bigger Type Net. Hope This Helps. Good Luck Fish4dug

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

In-Fisherman had an article this last month or so on using landing nets. It says that most nets can actually harm fish. It can pull their scales off, and the mucous that makes them slimy. Of course with anything in life, their is always pros and cons. You might be able to go on their site and look up the article and read it.