Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Rig

RAM357 Guest

Default Crappie Rig

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and excited about all the cool info...

Some friends and I want to do some crappie fishing mostly at night... stationary with a light (cuz of equipment and boat size limitations). We're fishing Georgetown, Granger, Stillhouse and soon Travis.

What's a good way to rig up for this? Single hook, multiple hooks? Weigths below or above hooks? Hook size?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

You could try a float over a minnow with a jig under it for the weight.

Post Thanks / Like

From everything that's been talked about on this forum about night stalking, lots of folks have said to try straight line jigging - with the jig down just below where the light gets to, or just outside the lit up water.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard RAM357. Try tight lining minnows on a #4 hook and a spit shot up above the hook. I have heard of a few people also using jigs, but I would go with minnows myself. Good luck.

RAM357 Guest

Thanks for the feedback guys...

I think I'll be experimenting with some jigging, but I've got some younger friends that haven't fished. Will probably go with minnow setup for them...

FishnLine... What does "tight lining" mean?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same double hook rig that I spider rig with. Lets you fish 2 depth at one time. Tight lining is where you just fish straight down from the end of your rod. When you have a bite your rod tip will bend or you will see slack in your line.
    Last edited by creekslick; 05-08-2007 at 08:04 PM.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Go back to Crappie home page, click articles&tips; check out night stalking by Rango. Thats a great article to get you started.

I use minnows on #2 hook under split shot, multiple hooks w/ minnows, jig under hook w/ minnow, and sometimes hook w/ minnow under a float. Try them all till you find what they want. Check local regs for # of hooks per line and # of rods per person. SC is unlimited from a boat.

oh yea... welcome aboard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAM357
    FishnLine... What does "tight lining" mean?
    creekslick explained it. You just have the rod in a rod holder with only the hook and weight. No float. You have to watch your line and rod tip very good, because some nights you may just see your line move a little or it may just get a little slack, so you need some soft and sensitive rods. Then sometimes your rod tip may go crazy. I missed a lot of fish in the beginning from not noticing the light bites.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 10970 From Toledo Bend Texas!

Here is what I do....I do night fish during the summer and that is the only time I use minnows at all and I rig them like this....I take and tie on a 3 way swivel and to that I tie on a short (8"-9") mono leader with a mnnow hook and then I tie on a drop that is about 18" below that and I tie on a 1/4oz jig. The jigs has double duty as the weight and as bait.

Most times the bigger fish will come on the jig, probably 80% of the time.

Hope this helps,

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    Attachment 10970 From Toledo Bend Texas!

Here is what I do....I do night fish during the summer and that is the only time I use minnows at all and I rig them like this....I take and tie on a 3 way swivel and to that I tie on a short (8"-9") mono leader with a mnnow hook and then I tie on a drop that is about 18" below that and I tie on a 1/4oz jig. The jigs has double duty as the weight and as bait.

Most times the bigger fish will come on the jig, probably 80% of the time.

Hope this helps,

Skip
    I've been considering a rig like that skip. I know during the spawn(which I missed this year) I always catch my bigger crappie on jigs, but I've never used them night fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast