Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Grilled Crappie Recipes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Grilled Crappie Recipes

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for grilling crappie that's simple, and does not have a dozen different ingredients? If there's some on this forum, can I search for them resulting in a group of nothing but grilled fish recipes? I've tried grilling fish a couple of times, but I'm not satisfied with how it turns out. I can't get it to turn out like some of the resturaunts do it. I would appreciate any help. Personally, I'd just as soon have them fried, but wanted to keep the wife and kids interested in eating it, and they love grilled fish. Again, thanks for any of your favorite recipes, or for telling me where I can find a good selection of them.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I grill crappie quite a bit and keep it pretty simple. I use heavy duty aluminum foil and make a "tray" to cook the fish on. Spray, butter, or lightly oil the foil, season the crappie with either lemon pepper, blackened fish seasoning, or Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's creole seasoning, squeeze some lemon juice on em and throw on the grill. Sometimes I'll slice up some onion real thin and lay the filets on top of those. The onion gets sweeter as it cooks and it flavors the fish too.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the response

Thanks Mrs Stalker..........that's the kinda recipe I'm looking for. Since the nature of the crappie is to have a delicate texture, I'm assuming it falls apart real easy as it's getting done? This has been my experience. Thanks again.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I usually just check it with a fork. If it's flaky and opaque, it's done.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

I also use foil to make a pan oil it and place crappie or any fish on it. Squeeze lemon juice then sprinkle heavy with Old Bay's Seafood seasoning. This can also be broiled in the oven.

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want simple just soak fillets for a few hours in Zesty Italian salad dressing then grill for a few minutes on each side. Done when they get flaky. I have a flat wire basket I use, you can turn them all at one time & keeps them from falling apart.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

I just put Crappie filets on the grill and use my grilling spatula to pick them up when they've cooked enough to have a coating (also I use my Gas Grill with the Non Stick) and I know they'll stay together... all I season them with is Lemon Pepper, I never knew grilling fish could taste that good