Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing must be slow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing must be slow

Hello everyone..... I know the crappie are slow at this time of the year, tell us about your other types of fishing or just tell us what is going on in your day to day lives.

I would think most are still checking the site periodically. Let us know what is going on out there.

Post Thanks / Like

crappieman101.....Me too; not many entries being made after all the rough weather we've been having. Right now most of our lakes and rivers are muddy and falling, and it doesn't bode well for our slab-sided friends. I'm sure you got as much weather as we did, and in the same situation. My last few days have been spent hauling off the tree limbs and one Bradford Pear that fell like Mike Tyson when Buster Douglas touched him. I know one guy that's still catching specs on a nearby lake, but to maintain his friendship I must not tell since it's his secret honey hole. How well did the Mississippians weather the storms? We had thousands in Shreveport without power, and there are still hundreds that haven't been restored. Good luck if you get to go, but watch the lightning!

Louisiana Bill

slabseeker Guest

Default Louisiana Connection

Labill, I was surprised to see someone from Louisiana on the forum in Mississippi. My best friend lives in Stanley about 45 miles south of you. I have been trolling several times this summer with good success. Come on up to Mississippi and get in on some of the action.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Slabseeker...
    Good to hear from the state that got me started crappie fishing at the tender age of two. We had some good fishing in places between Drew and the closest oxbow, which both entertained us and fed the family. Always been a special joy to plan a trip with my grandfather. He loved the oxbows and he loved to crappie fish. I thank the Lord he passed that gene along to me. I will certainly fish those waters again, so take care of Mississippi 'til I can get back to her. Certainly is a small world, ain't it?

Regards,

Louisiana Bill

slabseeker Guest

Labill,

We spent about 7 years in the Mississippi Delta. We lived in Greenville from 1986-91 and Cleveland from 1992-94. I wasn't into fishing back then but know that there is some good fishing in the oxbow lakes around that area. We went today to Sardis and caught 43. None of them were real big, just good eating size. They seem to be deeper the hotter it gets. I talked to someone who went to Arkabutla last Saturday and they only caught 1. I have talked to several people that have fished Enid and they were catching some good numbers there but having to throw back a lot of short fish. Good talking to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small world....

slabseeker,

We were almost neighbors by location but we were gone time you got to Greenville. My grandfather used to take me with him when he bought his seed (corn and cotton) in either Greenville or another town close by. He referred to them as "big cities". I guess they were back then. We left Drew in '55 for Shreveport, but went back in the springs when the dogwoods were blooming to take him to his favorite oxbow. Good times.

Post Thanks / Like

I lived around Drew most of my life. I lived on the county line at Rome, MS when I was born. Early adult years had Chevrolet Dealership in Drew until 1988. I now live in Memphis.

crappiecatter Guest

I took my granddaughter to Enid last Saturday. We fished out from Water Valley landing, in the widow makers. I had the bobbers set at 8, 10 and 12 foot. All the bites came in the 10 to 12' range. We caught 6 that went 10 1/2" and 1 the was 13". I guess we caught about 45 that were to small. We were using jigs with minnows. Black with chartreuse. Red with chartreuse and green with chartreuse. Most of the bites came on the black and green. We would pull up to the east side of the trees and drift through to about the center of Bill's creek and then back. We took 3 trips in 4 1/2 hours. We would take a different path each time. The best was through the trees near the center of the lake. I plan on going Monday with my wife. Maybe to Grenada, try the Turkey creek area again.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we all are from the same area. I grew up in Cleveland, MS (23 years) before moving to Dallas, TX, then back "home to the Delta" in Memphis, before finally building my current house in Southaven. I love to fish Tunica Lake and Horn Lake. Arkabutla intimidates me due to the chocolate milk you have to fish in!! Spring time action on Tunica this year was unbelievable!! But you don't have to tell anyone that doesn't read it here for themselves.

Tracker99
    Tracker99

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like ya'll are a bunch of yankees, living north of I-20 and all. I grew up in the Natchez area and have fished the Mississippi River lakes, all my life. I haven't done much fishing lately. I've been off shore for nearly three weeks and will have about one week off when I get in, then two more weeks. I'm still going to try when I get in. The water is very high on all the lakes around home and no one is having any luck. Hope it gets better soon. Pooch