Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reelfoot Trees...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot Trees...

Gang,

I know that we each have our own particular style and set of trees that we fish. Just a fun thread to see who fishes what area and what color/style of bait used. I'll go first...

I usually like the Buck Basin area for trees. My favorite is Simons Pocket. The jig I use is a black or black/chart Grizzly Jig or a simple black/chart umbrella jig. I will tip either with Crappie Nibbles or wax worms.

Later,
    cypress

FYI...fished the Rat Island area for the past three days...get out from the trees in the 5-7' water and spider rig. Have done REALLY good.:D
    "I fish...therefore I lie." Where's the Copenhagen?

Post Thanks / Like

SInce i have only gotten to go to that lake twice now, i pretty much havnt found a tree i didnt like. Any tree in 3 ft of water stands a good chance for me. Grizzly jigs, or any hair jigs in a combo of "something" and chartreuse works for me. Tipped with a nibble or wax worm of course. I made the mistake of getting there a little too early this year, of course mother nature didnt help. Hear the action is heating up. Need to find my way back down.

Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trees

Wow...I thought that you guys fished the trees at the ole 'Foot more than this. Hhhmmm...that just leaves more for me, Gator, and Cracker to fish.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I've ever fished for trees. I've caught a few, but it was purely accidental. lol

I've never fished the trees at Reelfoot. I've fished amongst some trees at Kirby Pocket and the Airpark, but the fish weren't in there with 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

You really think they are gonna jump on here and tell colors and exact trees with good fishing right in front of this? I dont.

Post Thanks / Like

I may try fishing some of the trees tomorrow or Saturday.
    If I find a good one I will post a picture of it. Never have fished the trees there. But there has to be lots of good fish in them.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Not asking for fishing spots...I have plenty. Just a discussion of what each likes and uses. General info...not the exact stuff. It is interesting to see what each person prefers as to location and baits.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't beat a black jig with a wax worm for bluegills. Don't know why black works so well but it does.
    Will the bluegill bed in the lilly pads at reelfoot lake? I don't know much about fishing lilly pads anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish trees all over, not found any that really jsut "do it" for me. But I like to fish a grizzly jig tipped with a nibble, or in a tube I fish blue/chart, blue/white, lime/chart, black/chart. In a grizzly I like a black/chart, or anything/chart.

I caught my biggest tree crappie north of palestine timber in the trees, lost pond trees, and magic hole trees.

But all my 2lb crappie have come from trolling. I never caught one bigger than 1lb10oz in the trees or pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Like i said, for me, there is nothing better than dropping jigs tipped with (nibbles, minnows, or wax worms) amongst the trees at Reelfoot. Somewhere i read that there are thousands of trees and stumps at Reelfoot with a fish on every one. That isnt totally accurate, but close. The picture next to my name is from Green Cypress Point, i have done pretty good fishing the trees there. Matter of fact, anywhere in the middle and upper basins that you find clumps of trees will produce. I dont know if you have it, but there is a really interesting read in last years Grizzly Jig Catalog. All about Reelfoot and the cypress trees. It says to think of them as an umbrella, with the handle of the umbrella being a stem, leading up to the root fingers which would be the umbrella opened. I prefer jigging the timber, but learned the trolling technique last month. Both produce. Trolling or spider rigging lends itself to a little more laid back fishing, and or adult beverage consumption. LOL, i have knocked over many an adult beverage in my boat while trying to jig and consume beverages at the same time. Both methods work, i just happen to like one on one with the fish.

Again, my .02

CHris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast