Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing?

I fish the Saline/Larto area. I want to get into the night fishing. What sort of light do I need? The submersible "green" or the Lantern?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crossbayouguy
    I fish the Saline/Larto area. I want to get into the night fishing. What sort of light do I need? The submersible "green" or the Lantern?

Hey crossbayouguy. Welcome to the Lousiana board. I think you will enjoy it. We're neighbors by the way. I live just across Black River from you, at Eva, on Black River Lake. You can go to the main board and do a search on your light question. There are many, many different opinions about what's best. I've only been at night a few times, myself, and I believe a 500 watt bug zapper would be the best in our neck of the swamp.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Pooch

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    Hey crossbayouguy. Welcome to the Lousiana board. I think you will enjoy it. We're neighbors by the way. I live just across Black River from you, at Eva, on Black River Lake. You can go to the main board and do a search on your light question. There are many, many different opinions about what's best. I've only been at night a few times, myself, and I believe a 500 watt bug zapper would be the best in our neck of the swamp.---Pooch
    Pooch thanks for the advice. I have not tried it many times but I am gonna find out how. I ordered a green submersible light from Basspro and I will just keep on until I learn how. I will keep you in the loop. By the way I am moving down to J'ville this summer. I am gonna be right by Wallace lake so "getRdone". You been fishing lately? They should be ON when I come in this week from offshore.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been night fishing on Lake o the Pines 7 times this winter. The guy that I go with has been telling me that underwater lights are not only unnessisary but attract other unwanted bait stealers such as Yellow/sand Bass. The first time we went I didn't take a light and we did pretty well. The next few times I sank a pair of 1157 tail light bulbs to about 20 feet and had a floating car headlight thing that Wally World used to sell. We caught as many fish as without the lights but when using them we ran out of minnows (1/2 pound) due to the trash Bass. The last two times we limited out, or came close, without a light in the water. I must confess I do have a 6 foot pole mounted behind my seat with a Coleman lanten above our heads to see with. I don't think it has any affect for fish that are 20-30 feet deep this time of year. Different times of the year may change things. My fishing buddy that put me on these fish has been doing it for many years this way and I finally believe he's right. Whatever you do, don't spend a lot of money on those fancy tubes and colored lights. We use 3 CHEAPO 5.5-6 ft fiberglass rods with the ends painted white or floresant green. 6 pound test and I shapen every hook. The bits are so light and due to the depth, we put the rods down and watch them for the slightest movement. A graphite rod will not show the movement that the Cheapo's will so you get more notice. In the dark you need all the help you can get. We set the three rods a different depths to locate the fish becuase every time we go they change. The Keep it simple and spend more time wetting a hook.
    Thats my take on the mater. Percher

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Now we getting the "grease" hot!

Quote Originally Posted by percher
    I have been night fishing on Lake o the Pines 7 times this winter. The guy that I go with has been telling me that underwater lights are not only unnessisary but attract other unwanted bait stealers such as Yellow/sand Bass. The first time we went I didn't take a light and we did pretty well. The next few times I sank a pair of 1157 tail light bulbs to about 20 feet and had a floating car headlight thing that Wally World used to sell. We caught as many fish as without the lights but when using them we ran out of minnows (1/2 pound) due to the trash Bass. The last two times we limited out, or came close, without a light in the water. I must confess I do have a 6 foot pole mounted behind my seat with a Coleman lanten above our heads to see with. I don't think it has any affect for fish that are 20-30 feet deep this time of year. Different times of the year may change things. My fishing buddy that put me on these fish has been doing it for many years this way and I finally believe he's right. Whatever you do, don't spend a lot of money on those fancy tubes and colored lights. We use 3 CHEAPO 5.5-6 ft fiberglass rods with the ends painted white or floresant green. 6 pound test and I shapen every hook. The bits are so light and due to the depth, we put the rods down and watch them for the slightest movement. A graphite rod will not show the movement that the Cheapo's will so you get more notice. In the dark you need all the help you can get. We set the three rods a different depths to locate the fish becuase every time we go they change. The Keep it simple and spend more time wetting a hook.
    Thats my take on the mater. Percher
    Hey Percher

Nice to chat with you. That info is what I was after. Especially the soft tipped rods. I ordered the dang light anyway. (Green submersible) I think I have a great area to fish (Larto/SAline) it will be just a matter of catching fish consistentley. I baught a camp down there and now I am sellign my house and moving down there. I cant wait to try this night fishing. I will be letting everyone know the progress.

Post Thanks / Like

I like night fishing much more than during the daytime. Some times I go in the afternoon to get a fix on where everyone is fishing. When I launch I ask everyone that is taking out if they had any luck and what depth they caught em. Most people will give you that and about half of the folks will spill their guts. When someone wants to talk I stop and get everything I can from em. Then I get out there and use the trolling motor to mill around between the 2-3 hundred boats that fish within a mile of the dam. I just see what they are doing just dragging a couple jigs around. Maybe catch a few in the process. Around 6 pm everyone leaves. No noise. No outboards plowing around making waves. No body dropping anchor next to you. We usually have a sandwich, an adult beverage and by 7:00 they should start bitting again. If they don't bit in 20 minutes or so, we move. There is no structure they are just moving around near the edge of the river bed. In the same spot they where all day. One afternoon I caught about 15 right on the bottom in 34 feet and pulled out at 5:30 to go back to my camper and cook a few. I returned about 7:15 with an empty ice chest to start over with my local expert. Got out my cheapo rods and set all three to the bottom. The depth finder showed a 5-7 foot wide band of something about 15-18 feet down and although I turned down the sensitivety I couldn't get rid of it. My partner set two rods to that depth but I didn't figure it out untill he had 7 in the boat. We ran out of minnows at 10:30 and had 37 nice Perch and caught about that many yellow and white bass that we tossed. Percher, ( Sitting at home with the flu.)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking I gotta try it.

Hey Percher
    Thanks far talking back. I hate that you R sick. Just keep warm and dry and you will be well soon. I gotta tell you that scenerio that you talked about with the night fishing just sounds perfect. I did not know crappie would go that deep. I mean the deepest hole i got to fish is about 23'. But never you fear I will be there about Wed. evening. Carry a sandwich and a adult beverage or three and then just kick back and see what happens. I have a good graph so I will watch it close. The other day though I went to one of the favorite haunts and well it was all black. Turns out is was only about abillion and two shad down there and the perch were under them but they would not bite nutten i had. But the water was one the rise. It is falling now so it I hope it is on like a chicken bone. Percher what set up do you use for perch deep like that. Hook size, line, and so forth. I really appreciate your help.

crossbayouguy

Post Thanks / Like

I can't seem to get a bite on jigs at night and honestly I haven't spent much time trying different colors because minnows work just fine. I use a 1/0 or 2/0 gold arbradine, (thats not how its spelled but close enough), and and a light removable split shot about 10 inches above the hook. The weight depends on how calm it is, but just enough to keep the minnow down and let you see a little movement. I set the hook a lot and loose some minnows but I think a fresh minnow is important too. The bigger Perch will hit it and never move it again. Sometimes they move up after they hit it so if you just feel with a little lift on your pole you'll miss them. Thats when they swim around all you other lines and in a second or two all your lines are wrapped up with the fish. Thats where its nice to have the removable split shot to speed up re-rigging. Your best bet is, when you see a bump, jank the crud out of that pole and if you miss it you may need a new shinner but on average, you'll get more fish. We keep all of our rods close together so you can watch them without having to scan back and forth. You miss too many bits at night that way. Hope this helps and let me know how you do. I have always heard the best crappie hole in the south is Larto but I've never fished it. seeya, Percher
    (Buy a two dollar stone and shappen every hook before you tie it on. Takes 5 seconds. It should stick into your fingernail and not slide off with light pressure.)
    Last edited by percher; 02-09-2005 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting there

Hey Percher

You a getten well? I am going to try exactly what you were describing. I like to get the fish headed my way at first anyway. I like minners my self. What way do you hook your minners? I ahve heard all sorts of ways but dont really know. I just hook them under their lil fin on the back.
    Also there are a lot of perch in that larto/saline hole. I hav enot been fishing it long but I have already learned a good bit. My fishing bud went sat eveing and picked up a few. he said the water was turning so it should be good.
    If i get to working on them good i will elt you know. You and who ever has a standing invite to come down any time. I have a pretty good camp (central air, shower/tub, well just everything and i can sleep about six comfortably.
    So anyway. I appreciate your help. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crossbayouguy,
    Just what area of LA do you live. South of I-10 or North.
    There is a crappie tournament this Sunday at the State Park on the levee. Weigh in is 2:00 pm. If any of you South LA boys can make it I will be there.
    My plan is to fish in the morning and then get to the park around weigh in. Not to compete but just to watch and meet a few of the guys.
    I will have a brown Elmers Island cap.
    I probably will bring my fishing partners (The Miller Lite brothers with me) and sit and drink a few while shooting the breeze.
    We may even talk about starting a club down here. Something with million dollar pay-offs (LOL)
    I am looking forward to meeting any of you that get over there Sunday afternoon.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast