Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Store before Taxidermist gets it!!

MacDaddyBrown Guest

Default How to Store before Taxidermist gets it!!

My Daughter caught near a 3 pound Crappie today, I was interested in having it mounted for her... How do I store the fish before I get to a Taxidermist... Who would be a good Taxidermist to go to?

Thanks
    Jamey Brown

Post Thanks / Like

What I have done is wrap the fish in plastic, making sure the fins are kept flat and straight. Freeze overnight then flip the fish over on the other side to make sure it is fully frozen thru. If it will be awhile before it goes to the taxidermist, wrap it in newspaper to prevent it from becoming freezer-burnt. This has always worked for me and everyone else I know.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

MacDaddyBrown Guest

Wrap in plastic first then wrap newspaper around it?

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, The newspaper will bleed the ink onto the fish, and my taxidermist doesn't care for that.

MacDaddyBrown Guest

Post Thanks / Like

Nice crappie, what was the length?

MacDaddyBrown Guest

17 inches from mouth to end of tail, and 9 1/2 across top of back fin to bottom of fin, and mouth was 3 inches opened from top of mouth to bottom of mouth!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice crappie, The biggest for me has been a 17 1/4 inch. I have had bigger on but never a net. I fish with 9-foot jigging rods and there is no swinging them in the boat

MacDaddyBrown Guest

Me and My Daughter was fishing in a little ole john boat, fishing side beside around some good stick ups, I threw out something knocked my floater plum out of the water, I assumed it was a nice size bass!! We caught a few more 9 to 10 inch crappie, then bam she was fighting it, she said dad I think I'm hung up she kept reeling and the drag was slipping, then I seen the side of it turn up and said dang girl you caught a nice bass, then it come up where I could see it real good, and said man that a nice crappie, she was so excited, thats all that mattered to me! Just think I drug here off her computer to go with me, and she had one of the best fishing trips she has ever had!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good question. I have some friends that are taxidermists and they say that wrapping directly in newspaper is a bad idea. The newsprint can lift off and transfer onto the fish.
    Here is how I put fish up for mounting. This is just my idea so try it if you want. The main thing is to protect the fins from getting broken while frozen. I vaccuum pack mine but you can also wrap them in a wet towel when caught to protect their fins and scales from damage. Put them directly on ice and freeze towel and all in a tightly wrapped plastic trash bag when you get home.

I put a few measurements on the cardboard protecting the fins for my information and this is not neccessary to the taxidermist. He will do his own measurements as it depends on where he orders his crappie form from.

CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast