Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question

Crappie15 Guest

Default Question

Hi everyone,

At the lake I am currently crappie fishing, they are in the warming shallows, and I am catching them in pretty large numbers, but I just can't seem to get any bigger ones. Should I be fishing a bit deeper? I am using 1/32 ounce jigs with 2" curlytail grubs. Maybe I should try a larger bait? Thanks for any replies.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a different spot. Fish closer to cover or the bottom may help. Might try using larger minnows. A 2" minnow might keep the small fish from attacking it.

In captivity the larger fish seem to eat first. But if the larger crappie misses the minnow and the minnow swims to the other crappie they will not hessitate to inhale it.

I have read that fish tend to group in schools according to size. Big fish also take the best spawning spots and chase the smaller fish away.

I have the same problem as you. Lots of very small one year old or less crappie being caught. That makes it harder to find and catch the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie15
    Hi everyone,

At the lake I am currently crappie fishing, they are in the warming shallows, and I am catching them in pretty large numbers, but I just can't seem to get any bigger ones. Should I be fishing a bit deeper? I am using 1/32 ounce jigs with 2" curlytail grubs. Maybe I should try a larger bait? Thanks for any replies.
    Regards,

Moose1am

FISH4DUG Guest

Hi, Just A Couple Thoughts, It Sounds As Though The Spawn Is Well Under Way,if This Is The Case The Males Are What You Are Catching, They Are Up On The Eggs, That Would Explain Why You Are Catching Alot Of Tyhe Same Size. The Females Will Be Spawned Out Hanging On The Closest Dropoff From The Nests. Hope This Helps Good Luck Fish4dug.