Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Size

I have used minnows all my life for catching crappies. I would like to try a few jigs, but I do not have any experience. What weight jig head should I use? What length Mr. Twister (or similiar) plastic worm/jig/grub? Is 3" too big? Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is a 1/32 ounce jig head with a size 6 hook and a 1 1/2" tube in various colors.
    Savage

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Titanxt! I would start out with a 1/16 oz. jig in the 1 1/2 to 2 inch range. A crappie can certainly enhale a 3" bait so a twister tail up to 3" long would be fine.
    A Roadrunner would also be a fine bait for casting as well as jigging.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

1/32, 1/24, and 1/16oz jig heads have all worked well for me, but lately I have used mainly 1/32oz stuff. As fas as the bodies are concerned, my favorites are 1.5-2" triple ripples in whatever color the fish are biting.:D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Just starting out ......

Quote Originally Posted by titanxt
    I have used minnows all my life for catching crappies. I would like to try a few jigs, but I do not have any experience. What weight jig head should I use? What length Mr. Twister (or similiar) plastic worm/jig/grub? Is 3" too big? Thanks!!!
    I think I'd stay with the 1/16oz jighead weight ... it's pretty universal, as far as overall use, in water up to 20ft deep. As far as the plastic bodies length, that you'd be tipping your jighead with ..... 1.5" to 2" seems to be the average range.

A 3" plastic bait is not "too big" ... I've known of people that troll with 3" twin tail grubs and caught Crappie ... I've caught (a) Crappie on a 4" plastic Crawdad, several on crankbaits (that were longer than 3"), and seen one caught on a 1/2oz Spinnerbait And, when I tip a 1/16oz jighead with a 2"-2.5" minnow ... the overall length is usually greater than 3" :p
    Just remember .... there's no hard, fast rules about what is "best" !! Use what you feel comfortable with, have confidence in, and can present to the fish easiest ... there'll always be one out there, willing to take your offering !!

There will be times when a 1.5" bait is too big, and times when it's too small .... but, for starters/beginners, it's productive enough to catch a wide size range of Crappie. You'll be wanting to learn more about "techniques/methods", and worrying less about "size", when starting out ... IMHO. There's a lot of members that can help get you rolling, in that respect ... so just post away, and ask about those specific methods/techniques that interest you. That's what we're here for !!

......... luck2ya ... cp