Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: transducer placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default transducer placement

I just purchased a eagle Cuda 168 fish finder, i have a 12 ft. flat w/a 9.9. My question is should i mount the transducer on the transome or the trolling motor, if ya'll can give me some help and advice and maybe some tips it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks good luck fishing, and remember a bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at work!!!

thanks

spot

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling transducer placement

without a doubt the only place for a boat with only depth finder is the mountof the transducer on the trolling motor provided it is also mounted on the front of the boat. the reasong is that the information you are gathering is in front or under where you are fishing insead of behind you

sincerly;
    saline drifter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spotass
    I just purchased a eagle Cuda 168 fish finder, i have a 12 ft. flat w/a 9.9. My question is should i mount the transducer on the transome or the trolling motor, if ya'll can give me some help and advice and maybe some tips it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks good luck fishing, and remember a bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at work!!!

thanks

spot
    Hey, spot.....haven't seen you on the boards lately, welcome back. As to your question, it's really a personal preferance. If you search for structure and/or fish using your 9.9., a transom mount would be your best choice, you can cover more water quickly. If you want to pinpoint a school, stump, ledge or just a single fish, and don't want to twist your head looking back, go with the trolling motor mount, and for best results, you will need a 20 degree transducer. Now, for the best of both worlds, get another transducer and have it both ways. Use your wide angle for the back...narrow for the front. Eagle makes a switchbox that you can toggle back and forth to use either one as you need to. (my personal preference) Makes for a little more expense, but you'll get more out of your Eagle. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am new here and hope this is the way to post. I have a lowerance X-47 with a transome mount. It works well at high speeds or trolling. The only problem I have is that the water in S. Louisiana is usually shallow and I have trouble reading the fish. It appears as straight lines instead of inverted V's. no matter the angle of the transducer. I had been thinking it was wood on the bottom but since I started putting out brush piles, I am getting a better idea of what I'm seeing. I guess that's because the water is deeper. When the fish I.D. is used the are lots of fish on screen but few are being caught. I began fishing jigs mid season of last year and I can see the jig and line as it goes through the zone. Would I be better of with another unit on the trolling motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default BeauxBeaux.......

Quote Originally Posted by BeauxBeaux
    I am new here and hope this is the way to post. I have a lowerance X-47 with a transome mount. It works well at high speeds or trolling. The only problem I have is that the water in S. Louisiana is usually shallow and I have trouble reading the fish. It appears as straight lines instead of inverted V's. no matter the angle of the transducer. I had been thinking it was wood on the bottom but since I started putting out brush piles, I am getting a better idea of what I'm seeing. I guess that's because the water is deeper. When the fish I.D. is used the are lots of fish on screen but few are being caught. I began fishing jigs mid season of last year and I can see the jig and line as it goes through the zone. Would I be better of with another unit on the trolling motor?
    Welcome to crappie.com and the LA board. Looks like you posted just fine. As I mentioned in the post above yours, my preference is to have a transducer at both ends....it's not absolutely necessary, but it makes pinpointing structure and fish more accurately with a 20 degree cone on the trolling motor. I use a wide cone on the transom to find the general location of stumps and brush, then switch to the trolling motor. It doesn't have to be an expensive investment if you get a switchbox and another transducer to mount forward.

Welcome aboard, BB.....we're glad to have another member in LA. I'm sure you've read the rules, which are few and simple: no personal attacks, no foul language, stay on topic on the state boards. We have an "off topic" board in which you can discuss anything decent, and the rules apply there also and are monitored. We want our families to be able to visit the site also. That said, enjoy the site. I think you will find all the information you want here, and lots of friendly folks to help out. At the top of the page you will see links to a photo "brag board" with pics of our catches, a chat board, articles on fishing, and more. Best of luck Beaux.