Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Market for a boat

Post Thanks / Like

Question In the Market for a boat

I grew up jig pole fishing for shallow water crappie in AR. I am ready to broaden my approach to crappie fishing and am in the market for a better boat package. I notice that alot of the boat manufacturers put the decks lower for crappie fishing boats, why is this? Before I sink some money into a boat I want to hear some feedback on a good set up for crappie fishing. Will a bass boat set up work fine? Thanks.
    no matter what I'm doing, I've got hunting or fishing on my mind...

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a 94' Tracker tx17. It's got the flat deck as would any bass boat. I have owned a boat before that had the sunken deck, I didn't like it at all. I like to be mobile on the deck and move around if I need to reach out to fish a certain stump or tree. I jig probably 95% of the year, and the bass style boat suits me well for that.

When I see the sunken deck, it make me think of a spider rigging boat.

Just my opinion.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a alumimum bass boat that has high decks,but has low sides which works great in the wind.
    If your looking for a custom boat ,try a look at www.legendcraft.com. My fishing buddy owns the small all welded aluminum boat plant.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you live but I have a crappie boat for sale and is only 1 year old. It has a Yamaha 75 HP 4 stroke and SS prop. I am leaving the Lowrance LMS 480 on the console. Any way here is a pic or two and you can let me know if interested. The front and rear fishing seats were not in the boat when I took these photos. It also has a Minn Kota Maxxum troll motor.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey htr, whta kind of boat are you looking for and what size and price range? I know a guy who has a sweet deal on a 2006 1648 War Eagle with a 2006 Merc. 50 2 stroke. This thing is decked to the max for crappie fishin and is ready to go. I would buy it if I didn't have my boat.
    If you are interested just send me a PM. If not then not to worry he will sell it as soon as he starts to advertise it.
    The answer to your question about boats. A bass boat will work fine. I know guys that crappie fish out of them all the time. I prefer an aluminum boat because I can fish in deep water or in shallow water where the fiberglass boats can't go. I didn't know if you were talking about aluminum or fibergalss.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Info

I am definitely wanting an aluminum boat. I can spend up to $4500, anything above that I can't justify to the wife. I've seen some good deals on boats in that range on Ebay.
    no matter what I'm doing, I've got hunting or fishing on my mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by htr2133
    I am definitely wanting an aluminum boat. I can spend up to $4500, anything above that I can't justify to the wife. I've seen some good deals on boats in that range on Ebay.
    htr2133
    Have you tried www.boattraderonline.com yet? I found a real sweet deal on an '89 Bayliner runabout in pretty good shape for $1200. Added a trolling motor and new seats and it's ready to go.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

How and where you plan to fish would dictate the best boat to use. Some of the best fishermen I know use a 12 to 14 ft, flatbottom with a sculling paddle. A boat like this will do just fine with 6 to 15 hp. Used, one can sometimes be found for around a grand. This would leave enough in your budget for a larger boat with more bells and whistles.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower Decks

The lower decks are designed more for the dock and toon shooters. Personally I use the biggest bass boat I can find. Works best for me and I can get to the fish before most teams get on plane.:D
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is be very careful when you buy a used motor (don't want to be paddling back) and research the brand of boat and how they are made.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast