Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on CMC Tilt & Trim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on CMC Tilt & Trim

I ordered a PT-130, because my tilt & trim on my Merc 40 leaks, and the seal kits are close to 400.00 anyway, so I figure why not spend a little extra and get a new unit.

From looking at the pdf online that describes installation, there's no mention made to what you do about your old T&T. I realize that the PT-130 mounts on the transom, and your motor to it, but what I'm wondering is how you stabalize your motor, and weather you take off your old tilt and trim and somehow lock the motor into a stationary position. Meaning it doesn't raise up or down, unless the cmc raises/lowers it.

Has anyone here faced a similar problem? Just wanted to get an idea of what I'm up against.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mduncan62; 04-23-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I put the larger one on an 85hp Evinrude that was without T/T. If I remember correctly, the motor will still manually tilt and you can use the pin to lock it in the up position while the CMC unit is all the way down (such as for transport). If the pump and cylinder do not interfere with the mounting, I would say you could leave them but if they are leaking, I would remove them. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a PT-130 on a 40hp yamaha. With the motor back 6" and able to have it up 3" off the off the back of the boat. It will fly. 46 mph on GPS with just me.

But my motor didn't have tilt and trim. But with that being said I don't lock it down either. So if I hit something it will "kick up" if need be. And when I trailer it I run the cmc unit all the way down and the motor just sets in the bar. Rides well.

Hope that help some.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 89 15' bayliner with a 50hp force on it. would it be worth the money to put one on it? it hasn't been a problem so far. Also what about the steering, on my boat it goes into a cup like recess in the motor well would that be a problem?
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman
    I have an 89 15' bayliner with a 50hp force on it. would it be worth the money to put one on it? it hasn't been a problem so far. Also what about the steering, on my boat it goes into a cup like recess in the motor well would that be a problem?

It will safe you money on fuel if used right. Boat wll steer better when trimed up just right. The way it works is that when you are running you trim up and that will lift the boat out of the water meaning more speed, or speed with less rpm.

that's way the big bass boats run with the boat "up". If they ran at that same rpm's trimed down they would burn more fuel, less speed, hard to drive, make a bigger wake.

And with tilt and trim when fishing you can be up front and get the motoer out of the water without gettin out of your seat.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer