Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reelfoot Lake 15 - 19 April

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot Lake 15 - 19 April

Well, I wish I could say we killed them, but I can't. Arrived Sunday am to 20 mph winds that reached 28 mph by afternoon. Didn't even go out. Good thing I had the beer iced down as it can in handy.

After the beating from the winds the lake was stained, murky or sorta muddy and the fishing tough, at least for us. Some people were catching 15-20 by drifting off Green Island Point and Swan Basin in 10-15 ft water on minnows. We tried that also and hit Buzzard Slough, Moultrie Field and Buck Basin one day. Couldn't get many fish into the boat no matter what we tried. Was by far our worse trip in 14 yrs. But you can't control the weather!! You take what the Man upstairs gives you and deal with it.

I did get to meet Gater Bait & Crappie Monkey while there as we stayed at the same place. Gater did really well spider rigging and would probably had more if he didn't have to spend so much time getting Crappie Monkey out of the cypress trees!! Glad I got to meet one of the guys who post here and put a face with a name. They sure put a hurting on my old butt as far as crappie count!! Good job Gaterbait and it was a pleasure meeting both of you!!

Enjoyed the trip over-all. They had their April weather in March and vice versa at the "Foot" . A few days of warm temps and the crappie will be back in the pads and trees. What fish I cleaned were still full of eggs so they all haven't spawned. A few were being caught in the pads, but most of the guides were fishing off Green Island and Swan Basin.

Hope this helped some of you heading down. Best info I can give you; try deep, move shallow!!

Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-21-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what happend to you, but Monday and Tues were picture perfect days great temp and NO WIND. I fished monday afternoon for one hour and caught 20 fish and kept 12. Fished 6' of water 6" under the surface.

Where was you fishing? Don't think I've ever seen muddy water at the Foot.
    It was pretty clear Monday.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

larry c
    it was sure great to meet the face with the name, and the wife too. after 6 days of fishing it was the toughet i seen it with the weather so great. but gatorbait and i did bettter the anybody else at eaglenest. stayed and fished thrusday and friday fishing those day were great fished bettlespin in the pads at starve and tom johnson area and limited out by 12pm both days the big one the old man caught i had to finailnny practice the famous swoop and scoop that i am known for the big blackie weight almost 2 lbs. had a great time larry and roxanne hope to see ya next april or again sooner than that

crappiemonkey
    Master of the Swoop and scoop and minnow getter
    A.K.A EL COCO LOCO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot

Hey Monkey,

Glad you all did so well after we left. I had Roxie over crappie all day Tuesday & Wednesday but we couldn't get them to hit minnows or jigs. We even trolled roadrunners & beetlespins early Wednesday morning and only got one 12 incher and 5-6 small ones.

I'm going to have to get a boat and set it up to spider rig and take it to the "Foot". It's hard to control the speed of your drift when it depends on the wind speed. Did you notice how fast we drifted away from you and Gater? You guys just set in one place and we flew past ya.

Anyway, it was good to get away and we booked for next 20 April to try it again. Maybe we can meet up again next year and you all can put it on my butt again!! Tell ol Gaterbait we said hello.

Larry