Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question/satellite Images

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question/satellite Images

I look at satellite images of our area. I wish there was a place to find a map or picture of our lake when it was drained last time. This was about 8 or 9 years ago. Anyone got any information that could be helpful? Nimrod Lake in Arkansas.
    Thanks NIMROD:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the peeps who built the lake have some pics??
    I never fished Nimrod, but drove past it many times going to HSV. It's a beautiful little lake! Those of you who live close enough are blessed with such a great niche in the Ozarks.
    Does anyone know how long the lake has been there?
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 04-19-2007 at 04:15 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

If ya'll haven't seen this site, the Corp has a website with the lake. Pretty neat.
    Here is the link to it. It was completed in 1942.
    http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/nimrod/
    On the "recreation activities" tab, on the right side there is a link for "fish shelters" This may give you some more hotspots to catch them.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

check www.maps.google.com, and be sure to run the satelitte view. This is awesome. It may not give you what you want, but it is awesome. It helped me find the way into my favorite creek through a very small channel surrounded by super shallow water...

Post Thanks / Like

check out www.weather.com

type in your zip...........go to the beta map toward the bottom of the site. It's a better map than google.............but be warned these are a couple of years old.......both here and at google maps:rolleyes:

If you take the time, you can use windows paint and create a satelite map to print out for yourself.

1 - Open two paint windows............name one map and the other can be left untitled. Make the map attributes as big as you want. remember the printer will only do 8.5 x 11 or 8.5 x 14

2 - Open the map on weather.com zoom in to the level you want and hit the "print screen" key on your keyboard.

3 - Open the untitled paint window and paste "Ctrl + V" the screen print into it. Select the area tool and cut "Ctrl+C" the map section from the print screen.

4 - Open the map paint file and paste "Ctrl + V" and past this section of the map. You can them go back to the weather.con site and move to another section of the map and repeat this process.

I know it time consuming, but you can create a section of the lake or river you want to check out. I do this for the river in my area and find all the back-holes you miss being at eye level..............

here is a sample that I have done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ,I was looking for older images back during a draw down. I have the ones at regular low pool. Nimrod was built in 1942 and was the first flood control lake in the state. Also we are in the Ouachita Mountains ,not Ozarks.:D The COE website has some information. The public brushpiles are old and the coordinates have to be converted from the gov. WS-84.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Nimrod, sorry I can't help with the pics of your lake drained.
    Terraserver may accidently have an older picture about as old as when you described it being low last.
    Also Google Earth is a very good image site. It is very worth the free download. You can zoom, pan, etc better than most sites.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you join Terraserver you can get them for whatever year you want. Not sure about that though.
    Brian

Will fish for food!