Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which to start with?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which to start with?

I'm going to get a tying kit this afternoon.

For you guys that tie your own. What do you consider the easiest to start out on?

Marabou, feathers or what?

There's no reason to start out hard then work my way to the easy ones.

If my dear old Dad herd me say that. He would be so proud.:D
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I didn't get a reply from this thread so I guess I'll keep it going.

I picked this up. Now I would like to know if I should take it back.

My wife gave me $70.00 and I came in at $69.00.

I bought this at the local bait shop. The guy is awsome.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly tieing

I dont know anyhting about fly tieing but Id say you maybe better off with buying a better vise and a bobbing and then quality materials for the type of flys you want to tie rather than a generic kit. Also you may find a good set on ebay also. Id check at some of the fly tieing forums for more info or go talk to a fly shop.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest jig to tie is usually marabou or neck hackle. When you tie with hair, it requires extra effort i.e. stronger thread, a heavier wrap, good glue. Start with feathers, they're cheap....easier to work with.....and they catch fish! I order the strung marabou pin feathers from Barlows. You can just snip off the end and you have your tail. Looks like the kit you bought has the basic ingredients you will need. If you can find anyone in your area that ties, you can learn more in 15 minutes from watching them than you can from books on tying.

A good start is a 1/16th or 1/8th jig head (no barb or collar) with anywhere from a #6 to a #2 gold hook. In time you'll find the one you like best. One thing a lot of books don't tell you is to make sure you get a good wrap on the hook shank with your thread before you start with the tail and body. It keeps the material from twisting when you tie it off.

I'm fortunate enough to be friends with Wally "Mr. Crappie" Marshall and he taught me the basics years ago. Go for the basic jigs to start with, and then you will improve as you go. Every jig tier has some little something that they have come up with that is unique to their jigs. It is a great hobby and I think you will really enjoy it.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If you're anything like me, you've already busted that package open and got to work. It should have all the basic tools you need to get started, but fly tying (as oppossed to jig tying) kits usually only have 2-3 colors of marabou and chinelle (the main two materials for tying jigs). Black, olive, and possibly brown. I started the exact same way. My wife got me a fly tying kit for Christmas. I love fly fishing, so I thought I'd enjoy tying flies. Not so much. It was WAY too hard at first, so I quit. A couple months later, I was reading on crappie.com about tying jigs and since it looked easier I thought I'd give it a try. Now I'm smooth addicted! Only problem was I had to buy jigheads, chart./pink/white marabou, some powder paint, and more chinelle. So if you want to try tying flies too, you'll love the kit you bought. But if you're just wanting to tie jigs, a jig tying kit (or buying the materials seperately) would be more cost efficient. If you decide to take that one back and try something else, PM me and I'd be glad to help (Lord knows the guys on this site have helped me a ton). But like I said, the fly tying kit is not a bad way to start if that's what you decide to do.

Either way, don't use head cement on jigs. Go to Wal-Mart and buy some Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" clear fingernail polish. It will help your jigs hold together so much better!
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DC.

I haven't opened the kit yet. I wanted to hear from members at Crappie.Com before I jumped right into it.
    I did not know there was Jig kits and Fly kits.
    Thanks for the polish tip too.

Anyhelp would be great.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

If I had it all to do over again, I would buy the hardware on ebay ($20-25 for the vise, bobbin, bodkin, scissors, etc.), and then buy some materials (thread, jig heads, marabou and chenille in whatever colors you want). Or if you want it simplified, just buy a jig tying kit. Bass Pro has them for $49, and they periodically are on sale for $39. That way you'd know you have everything you need (except the Sally Hansen). I'm still using some of the tools from my BPS fly tying kit. I know they're not the latest and greatest, but they work for me.

Also, don't feel like you have to buy something with a video/dvd. There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube. In fact, some of them are better than the videos that come with kits.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm more confused now then I was before.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Is there something I can help with? I didn't intend to confuse you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DC.
    Now. this is on sale at Cabelas for $16.99
    What do you think?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...kits&noImage=0

Then there is this one on sale for $29.99. $10.00 bucks off.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...kits&noImage=0

Or this one a BPS.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

I want to do i right.
    Should I take the one I have back?

If I buy from Cabelas, what else do I need? Not including jigs themselves.

I don't mean to be a pest. As a matter of fact. I'm too old to be a pest.
    Now I can blame it on just that, being old.:o
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast