Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reelfoot Lake, this past weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot Lake, this past weekend

Well, my brother and i got back yesterday from our annual spring trip to Reelfoot Lake. In short, the lake and most of all mother nature, kicked our butts. Lets just say that it was not even remotely close to "good" conditions. We fished, we caught some, and we made it home safely each evening. Wednesday the 11th, was quite possibly the roughest water i have been on, freshwater and off shore. 3 foot plus swells on a lake that is an average 6 ft depth is a site to behold. Every day the wind was out of the west, north west, and yes, you could get out of it. But, and i do emphasize but, when you came out of it, you were in for a treat. I have a big, safe boat by most standards. There were guys all over that lake with the rental boats from the resorts who had to be panic stricken. Several from Blue Bank holed up in the back of Moultrie Field and finally had to come across, even though conditions were still pretty bad. The guides out of Bluebank said that the conditions that particular day were the worst in recent memory. Having nothing to guage it by, i would agree.

Again, we fished with a little of every bait and tactic. We did catche a few fish. At one point the water temperature (54 degrees) rivaled the wind speed, which made it pretty tough. All and all it was a great trip, Blue Bank is still and awesome place, with great accomodations and folks. In a day when you can control a lot of things in your life, the weather is still not one of them. After having our butts kicked, it made us want to go back and kick some butt, soon. A summer and a late fall trip are now in the works.

Take care,
    Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Your a brave man twister.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking that i was a stupid man at about noon on wednesday. When we headed back from green cypress to bluebank, well, lets just say that i have been on charter boats in the ocean and it wasnt as rough. We saw a guy, in a 14 ft jon, all by himself, (he was a little overweight), with the bow riding so high that i thought when he rounded the point at green cypress to head west the boat was going to flip over on top of him. My brother and i were ready for a rescue attempt. It took him 20 minutes to get from green cypress to the samburg shore, diagonally! How in the world we made it back to blue bank without landing on top of a stump in 3 ft swells is beyond me. It might have been one of the dumbest situations i have ever put myself into.

Live and learn. Very tough to fish Reelfoot lake with a south, southwest, or west wind, if you want to fish the lower or middle end that is. We drove up to Kirby's Pocket (in the truck) and there were about 25 trailers in the parking lot there, so it had to be a little better.

Hey, i did see that they got the money for the spillway. 3 million dollars to fix it. GOing to start soon with some steel and build a wall out from the spillway to ease the pressure. I did notice that the lake seemed a little down when we were there. Some of our holes from last spring were less than 2 ft deep this time, when last year they were 3 ft plus.

As we were leaving yesterday, there folks coming in. Mother nature has a little trick up her sleave for them too, last night or tonight it was supposed to get down to 31. When the weather finally straigtens out down there, a man ought to have to take a stick to beat the fish out of the boat. Wish i could be there to see that.

chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whitecaps

Twister,

I can relate to what you went thru..Several years back, it was kinda windy when the wife and I left Eaglenest, but not really too bad. We went thru Nations Ditch over to Buck Basin and Kirby's Pocket. Fished several hours that morning and wife needed a pee break so we headed back in. About halfway thru the ditch the whitecaps were about 2 ft high, in the ditch.

She laid down in the bottom of the boat and held on to the rope. Out on the main lake the waves were probably as high as you had. When you are in a 12 ft jon boat with a 6 hp motor, you just say your prayers and hope he hears you!!

When we finally made it back to the dock, I was soaked and the boat had water over your ankles. The only time my wife ever gave me a good cussing.
    Now when the wind is over 10 mph, we just sit on the bank and watch the others go out in it.

We'll be there Sunday and they are calling for 15-20 mph from the NNW. Guess I'll ice down some beer and mark that one off as far as fishing..lol

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Headed down...

Sunday too....what the "call" for and what it actually "is" are night and day....HOWEVER...been there...done that....going for a week..so, I'm with Larry!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there also Sat. thru Tues. Does not look good from where i'm setting. Thunder storm right over head.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Monday is supposed to be a good day.

But ole Mother Nature is throwing the bolts of lightning tonight. Some of the brighest and by far the loudest thunder I've seen. Not a whole lot right now but when it bangs it bangs.

I'm about to die.... I haven't fished in almost two weeks. Killing me it is.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy and I are leaving this morning from PA. We will be there Sunday thru Wednesday. I checked the NOAA web site and the weather looks OK.

I hope we can meet some of you folks while we are down there. You have been so helpfull with your info. We have three pages of stuff you have provided.

Thanks for all of your help. Not everywhere a person goes to fish are folks helpfull. We just want to let you know we appreciate all the help.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot Trip

My neighbor Archie and I went to Reelfoot March 25 - 28. Stay at Cypress Point. Hire a guild name Roy Logan on Monday and he showed us the fish and how to catch them. Really enjoy it, and the weather was really nice. Just lucky that we went at the right time. Conner

Post Thanks / Like

Was there sunday thru wednesday last week. The cold and wind were brutal Did pick up several BIG bluegills thru the week and Several nice crappie or Wednesday, but the wind was terrible. We tied up to a tree outside of bo's landing and set there most of the day. Caught several nice crappie all off of one tree. Was so looking forward to slaying the crappie but the weather just would not allow that. Will be back in the fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast