Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie bed

fisherman4life Guest

Default crappie bed

i am going to be making crappie beds over the next few weeks. i am making all sorts of them, some out of pvc, some christmas trees and pallets, and i also want to make stake beds. i have looked everywhere for stakes, and can not seem to find any. the only ones i can find are 3 feet tall. can anyone recommend what height i need, and also where i can buy bundles of these stakes. i have even tried looking for tobacco stakes and cant find those anywhere either. thanks for all the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I was chatting with several of the guys in the chat room tonight and that subject came up. Weezer suggested using stakes about 5 ft long and driving about 3ft into the bottom. Leaveing about 2ft above the bottom. Sounds good to me.

He will be showing us how to do that on the sportman channel this week.

Hope Russ can get them to fix the cable broadcast as it's not been working for over a week now. That is the only way that I can watch the Midwest Crappie shows on the sportsman channel.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman4life
    i am going to be making crappie beds over the next few weeks. i am making all sorts of them, some out of pvc, some christmas trees and pallets, and i also want to make stake beds. i have looked everywhere for stakes, and can not seem to find any. the only ones i can find are 3 feet tall. can anyone recommend what height i need, and also where i can buy bundles of these stakes. i have even tried looking for tobacco stakes and cant find those anywhere either. thanks for all the help guys.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Check with your local cabinet shops. The ones around here throw out a lot of nice wood perfect for making stake beds. It's usually a little over 3/4" thick and anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/2" wide and 8 or 9-feet long. I usually cut them in half. If you tell the cabinet maker what you are needing he'll probably make a separate pile for you, especially if you bring him some nice fillets every now and then.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

We have a local hardwood flooring plant that uses real wood and does all the milling , planing and sanding on it. They burn all their scraps and can get it by the truckload. They don't mind a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Sawmills,pallet plants and here in mo we have several amish families and they always have sawmills in their communities, a bag of fillets will get you all the stakes you need.I usually put my stake beds in 6 ft of water so they need to be 8 to 9 ft long
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

there is a pallet shop where I use to live where they have stakes piled in mounds everywhere. It sort of looks like a series of small mountains. Theres probably millions of stakes there. People use them to start fires in their wood stoves. They use to let people get them by the truck load. If they still do, I am gonna try and get some.