Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guntersville Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guntersville Lake

Hi everyone, I'm from the St. Louis area and have relatives in Scottsboro. I fished Guntersville for the first time this past year. I love to crappie fish and I will be in the area in Mid-March for a vacation, and I am going to bring my boat to try to crappie fish. I would have to imagine that the crappie fishing has to be good at times there. Already have a place to stay five minutes from the Goose Pond Colony and a relative that knows the lake better than his own house. He does almost all bass fishing though. Any info on the crappie fishing there or nearby lakes that might be better would be greatly appreciated. Tanx!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Goose Pond

Man,You hit it lucky getting there in march,The goose pond area is a great place.I'd start at the boat houses,With jig's .I've got some big crappie up there.most of the time the boat houes is all I have to fish,But if the wind is right also the rip-raps along the roads also can be a hot spot.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I will also be back in the area in Mid-May. Not sure if I will crappie fish or bass fish while I'm there. I guess it depends on how much I learn while I'm there in March. If the fishin gets good between now and then, send me a pic. Have a great spring!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ratler, who are your folks in Scottsboro? I have lived in Scottsboro and the surrounding area for a little over 20 years. I now live about an hour away from there but still fish it quite regularly. I use to live in the Goosepond apartments for about 2 years. I regularly fish the North Sauty bridge just past Goosepond from about mid October until the end of December. I do very well there. I have caught as many as 150 measuring fish in a day there. The last two years havent been as good, but me and my friend did manage to take home 51 nice fish one day. It has been several years since I'ved fished the boat houses around there, but i know they are productive at times. If you come in during March I would try Crappie. When you come in May I would try for Bass. Hope you enjoy your time here, the fishing can be awesome at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieseeker, hi there. I'm starting to get the fever pretty badly at this point. My friend there's name is Bob House. He runs a temp agency in Scottsboro. We talked to him the other day and it sounds like the bass fishing is starting to pick up down there. Can't wait till I get there!

Post Thanks / Like

I went to goosepond last week to fish a hole I catch alot of fish from, someone beat me to the hole and they caught alot of very big Crappie. They are still biting under the bridges

ashvillerob Guest

crappieseeker-

Do you know how deep they were fishing and what they were catching them on. Jigs, jigs/minnows ?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing they catch them on there is a bass assassin, usually in white or salt and pepper or pearl. I use the crystal shad color. Basically anything that is mainly white. Last week the water was stained and although I couldnt tell what kind of jig the man was using, I could tell that it was chartruese in color. Me and a friend of mine caught 51 keepers in that exact spot back in December when the water was stained and we also caught them on chartruese that day. I also catch them on tube jigs there pretty well at times. Minnows are on and off, some days you can catch them on jigs and minnows and then somedays I've only caught them on jigs. So it would pay to have both. You also have to experiment with depth. I have caught them as high as 2 feet from the surface in 18 feet of water and all the way down to the bottom. If you get in the right spot and the fish are there, you will catch fish and then you will know what to do. I would watch the people under the bridges if you are gonna stay a few days and observe and fish a little the first day, then I would get up very very early the next day and get the good spot. There is usually two good holes that always hold fish if they are in the area, and I have caught them at times in just about every spot around the bridge. Sometimes they will not bite before daylight and then turn on hard at first light. Then sometimes they will bite before daylight. You have to get there early to get the good spot though. Sometimes the guys from the bank catch more than the guys in the boats, it all depends on how close the fish have moved up and at what angle they are holding. The fishing can be great, but at times it can be hard to find them. Good luck and when are you gonna be in town

ashvillerob Guest

Default Which Bridge?

Which bridge(s) should I try around Goose Pond, I have never fished that
    area before?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

North Sauty bridge, if you put in at the boat ramp at Goosepond and look to your right, you will see it. It will be the main highway bridge that you would cross if you passed the entrance to Goosepond headed on highway 79 toward Guntersville. Tie up under the bridge with rope to the rails under the bridge, just toss your rope over in the front and one in the back to keep you in place, nobody hardly ever anchors here, they just tie up. Once you get to that bridge, you can also see another bridge in the same direction off in the distance, this will be highway 72 bridge, it is not as productive as North Sauty, but it does hold fish at times and can be very good at times. Most of the people fish the weed bed edges on the other side of this bridge, it has an old blown out bridge around the corner and alot of people catch crappie there from time to time. When will you be there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast