Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some Louisiana specific advice..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some Louisiana specific advice..

Even though I live in south central louisiana, I mainly fish Toledo Bend (mid lake area) and Chicot State Park. I'm relatively new to fishing for sacalait and would like some input from members regarding selection of lures/jigs. What would be a good starting selection of lures, especially for Toledo Bend and Chicot..
    I'm ok with rods n' reels, etc..just used to fishing shiners and would like to try jigs.
    Thanks for all of the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello, Rick....

Quote Originally Posted by rickinla
    Even though I live in south central louisiana, I mainly fish Toledo Bend (mid lake area) and Chicot State Park. I'm relatively new to fishing for sacalait and would like some input from members regarding selection of lures/jigs. What would be a good starting selection of lures, especially for Toledo Bend and Chicot..
    I'm ok with rods n' reels, etc..just used to fishing shiners and would like to try jigs.
    Thanks for all of the help.

Can't speak for Chicot, but on Toledo I would go with 1 1/2" tube jigs in black/chartruce,....red/chartruce,....pumpkinseed,....Blue/white,....roadrunners in similar colors,....all depending on temp, depth, and available light. Another good addition would be a scent attractant, ie...Nibbles by Berkley, Kodiak, Yum or a shad scent. A little bit of scent goes a long way, especially in cool weather when it seems they prefer minnows/live bait, but there are many that fish nothing other than jigs and do well. Some tip their jigs with a minnow, which is my personal preference in cool weather. If they're deep and close to bottom, try a dropshot with your offering about 12" to 18" above the weight. As I've seen using an Aqua Vu, any small disturbance in the bottom silt will get attention almost immediately, so don't be shy about gently bouncing the dropshot on bottom, then ease the jig down and slowly raise it again. You might want to look at some jigging poles 9 to 10 foot length, that way you can drift, spider rig, troll or just vertical fish easier. Be advised Rick, just like bass, the colors will vary at different times of the day, and from day to day. One more important tip, always fish about a foot above their holding depth.....they almost never go down to feed.

Welcome to crappie.com and the LA boards, Rick. Glad to have another LA member. We think this is the best crappie forum on the web, and to keep it that way, we have three simple rules;....1) no personal attacks....2) no foul language,....3) stay on topic on the state boards. We want to keep our site a clean and friendly place so even our children can enjoy it. We also have an "off topic forum" at the top of the state page in which we can discuss anything that is kept within rules #1 and #2. That said, Rick, enjoy the site. We also have a "brag board" where we post pics of our catch and the links to that and other goodies are at the top of the page. You will also find our sponsor products and crappie.com t-shirts, caps and articles on crappie fishing. Best of fishing to ya, Rick, keep us posted on your fishing trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toledo fishing

Rick,
    While fishing Toledo Bend you ever fish the area called the Chicken Coupe?
    I have never fished it but hope to do so.
    My best jigs (for my area of the woods which has stained water) is chartreuse and black and chartreuse and red / 1 1/2" long with 1/16 oz heads
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys--Deacon, I never though about dropshotting deep, nice
    Labill, been to the chickencoop but it's a pretty good run from Lanana bay, at least for me..would go only if the bend was really calm and that doesn't happen often, as you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Rickinla,
    We use 1/32 jig heads at Chicot under a lite cork or tite lining. We have found that blue, black, and or pumpkin, with chartreuse all work pretty well. Now and then purple and white.