Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small waters?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small waters?

Anyone know of any water shed lakes or stuff in west Tn with standing timber?
    Been thinking about fishing some of them. That or just small waters .
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Graham in Jackson is so full of standing timber and stumps you can't hardly pilot your boat.

Most of the other lakes I have found, the timber has been removed. I haven't fished them all but...wait a minute. Big Hill State Pond is down your way. The Ramp is long, steep and nasty but if you have a light boat you could put in there. No big motors allowed on the lake but it does have standing timber that looks good. I believe it's on hwy. 57. towards Middleton. Check it out.

PM me if you work em' over!

The CH...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHound
    Lake Graham in Jackson is so full of standing timber and stumps you can't hardly pilot your boat.

Most of the other lakes I have found, the timber has been removed. I haven't fished them all but...wait a minute. Big Hill State Pond is down your way. The Ramp is long, steep and nasty but if you have a light boat you could put in there. No big motors allowed on the lake but it does have standing timber that looks good. I believe it's on hwy. 57. towards Middleton. Check it out.

PM me if you work em' over!

The CH...
    Thanks I have never been to Big hill pond. Know where its at. And its not that far from me.
    So I may have to try it out.
    Even know the ranger there. May have to call and talk with him.
    How hard is it time get around in lake Graham?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Can't run the big motor very much. It's an "idle only" lake. Stumps are everywhere but they do have a channel marked. Only problem is most people are not fishing in the channel. Broke my trolling motor off in my hand on my 16ft. flatbottom last year and I have been fishing that lake for a long time.

If you go to Graham, take it slow. There are big bass in the lake but locating can sometimes be tough. Before the cold front reports were big bass and crappie being caught. Rumor was that someone caught a crappie that would go almost 3lbs. there in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure about that one because most of the crappie that I have ever seen come out of that lake were on the small side. But...it could be true, there's A LOT of WOOD!

If you want to come up and fish it sometime, give me a shout. I will be more than glad to meet you out there. We can take my boat and you won't even have to pull yours up.
    Just a thought.

Hope this helps,
    The CH....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHound
    Can't run the big motor very much. It's an "idle only" lake. Stumps are everywhere but they do have a channel marked. Only problem is most people are not fishing in the channel. Broke my trolling motor off in my hand on my 16ft. flatbottom last year and I have been fishing that lake for a long time.

If you go to Graham, take it slow. There are big bass in the lake but locating can sometimes be tough. Before the cold front reports were big bass and crappie being caught. Rumor was that someone caught a crappie that would go almost 3lbs. there in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure about that one because most of the crappie that I have ever seen come out of that lake were on the small side. But...it could be true, there's A LOT of WOOD!

If you want to come up and fish it sometime, give me a shout. I will be more than glad to meet you out there. We can take my boat and you won't even have to pull yours up.
    Just a thought.

Hope this helps,
    The CH....
    Thanks I just may try to fish it some. And may try to get a trip up with you also.
    Just looking for standing timber to fish in a few. Also would like to run the Humminbird 987c-SI on a few of them.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Now there is standing timber at Graham but not like five years ago or so. When the lake was originally built they left all the trees standing. There is quite a bit left but back then wow!

The sidescan would be greta and "if" you come up, I would love to see what that thing finds. They say Reelfoot has stumps...wait to you see Graham!

We start summer vacation May 19th so I can go anytime but till then afternoons and weekends.

PM me when you come up.
    The CH...

Post Thanks / Like

If you get on the TWRA page and do a little searching you can find a list of of water shed lakes that are East of Reelfoot. I think all of them have standing timper in them. I don't know how many thier are but...probaly ten or more.
    Caught some decent crappie in a couple of them.

As far as Lake Graham in Jackson, I have some buddies that fish it and said all the crappie are super small.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

Traditionally Lake Graham crappie have been small. Maybe they are they have done some management and things are on the turn. I'm a little pessimistic but we will see.

Most of the TWRA lakes I have fished don't have a lot of standing timber. I just looked at a list of the lakes and I think the two above are the only ones. I'm going to check em' on virtual earth and see if I can see any others that have timber.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, been there done that, NEVER AGAIN. Side scan does show ALOT of stuff. When I lived in Jackson I fished it a bunch. NEVER caught a single crappie and many times targeted them solely. CH underestimates the amount of standing timber. There is so much I never was able to find the fish. Also there were so many small bass, dropping jigs down the trees only resulted in A BUNCH of green carp.

Lately, I have been trying the TVA/Beech river lakes. Fished Beech Lake yesterday and caught no less than 40 crappie and a few yellow bass, but NO keepers. I have talked to several locals who indicated that is the lake typical. Sycamore did produce some keeper fish but I am still learning it and have only been marginally successful. I did get in to a nest of NICE shellcrackers the weekend before the weather turned.

If you WANT to fish standing timber Gibson county lake is where you want to go. Many LARGE crappie have been caught there, there is some standing timber, navigating is easier and nice brush piles and channels in the middle that are EASY to read on the side scan. I want to fish there more but since moving to Cedar Grove the TVA lakes are much closer. I understand they have been having some water level issues lately so check about lauching before you go.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're fishing the Beech watershed lakes, Pine Lake is a good one. Haven't fished it in a few years, but we used to catch some nice crappie there.
    We live about 5 miles from Gibson County Lake and there are indeed some nice crappie as well as some very large bass and tons of bream. There's quite a few black nose crappie in this lake as well. Lake is very low, no wake on the whole thing.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast