Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looks like Syracuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looks like Syracuse.

On an earlier post, I got in here for the first time and asked about fishing around Buffalo and Rochester. Now have found out the wife has secured a 13 week contract in Syracuse.
    Will be bringing the boat with us (19.5' center con) and was wondering what kind of fishing is in the area, and where would be the best lakes to try.
    Leaving here (Florida) the first week of may and will get there and set up around the 17th. Any ideas????? Anyone want to go out and "show us the ropes"? The deal is...my boat/gas.....your tips and tactics. Not wanting your hot spots, just a bit of knowledge on the fishing. Never caught a walleye or a perch, only cold water fishing we have done is alaska.
    Any help/info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a couple hours south of Syracuse in PA, so I can't help you directly. Oneida Lake is just north of Syracuse and you'll find crappie there, it's also a big walleye fishery. You are also right by Lake Ontario where you will find outstanding Salmon and trout fishing! How about a 30# King Salmon? That will get you heart pumping! You probably won't find much crappie info, but go to www.lakeontariounited.com for info on trout, salmon and walleye. A NY non resident season fishing license is $40.00 for a adult, and covers all species. I think you are in for some dynamite fishing. I'd love to live up that way, in the summers anyway, but the taxes are very high! Oswego,NY probably 30 miles or so from Syracuse got over 8 feet of snow in one storm in Feb! You'll probably need your winter Florida clothes up there for the summer. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

The salmon and trout fishing is usually deep after early spring, with downriggers or dipsy diver and wire line. If you have heavier tackle for the salt, bring it with you. Another site to look over is www.glangler.com That's the Great Lakes angler site which covers Lakes Ontario, Erie, Michigan, Huron and Superior. If you get on those boards, there's lots of folks to share info with you and will probably take you out too.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you hit the jackpot here ! Tremendous fishing in this entire area from the St. Lawrence river system to the finger lakes and the whole area . Start with Oneida . Easy lake to catch something. Lots of walleye ,perch and bass and loads of panfish . Good easy accessable launches and plenty of water to explore . Real nice place to fish.

good luck,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Default Syracuse Area "CNY"

CNY (Central New York) has TONS of great fishing.

If you like to eat what you catch, however, stay away from Onondaga Lake.

Oneida Lake hosts a Bassmasters tournament each year and is renowned for being a top walleye fishery.

Lake Ontario is close by - Deep water trolling for salmon is popular - King(chinook), Coho, Atlantic and Steelhead, along with Brown and Lake trout.
    Closer to shore and in bays, largemouth and smallmouth bass, pike, perch walleye, crappie and panfish like bluegill and sunfish.

The Finger Lakes are all loaded with wide varieties of species. Most all have Lake, Rainbow, and Brown Trout - and most also have LandLocked Salmon. You will also find good Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass fishing, with an assortment of panfish.

You can find a ton of information on NY fishing (including weekly fishing reports for Region 7-Syracuse) on the Department of Environmental Conservation Website:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/

Good luck! I hope you enjoy our great freshwater fishing!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for all the responses.

O.K. yall, now I'm itching to get up there. 1. Yes I have some dipsy's used for striper in Texas. 2. I have everything from 7-12' salt gear to bass baitcasters, light/ultra light for smaller pan fish and 2 fly rods, so geared for almost anything. 3. Boat is geared with 80lb riptide, GPS, all the safety gear needed for fresh and off shore fishing. 4. Live wells, bait wells, large cooler for main seat and the list goes on.
    My questions are, what are some things that may be needed up in that region, that I may not have??? Is there a BPS in the area? Any tips on things that may be usefull for "creature comforts" (insect repellant etc.)
    Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

There's a Bass Pro in Auburn, NY on Rt 20, just guessing it to be 30 miles S.W. of Syracuse. Then there's a Gander Mountain just north of Syracuse off I-81. With fishing season in full swing at time you are arriving, you should find all you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bringing back-up.

Heard about some of those big bad fish yall got up there, so here is what I am bringing up for protection.:p
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lol!!!

the fish are big, but not THAT bad!!! haha

Yep, there's a BPS in Auburn, NY. Depending on where you're going and what you're going after, local bait and tackle shops generally carry the gear that's working. Trolling for salmon on Ontario, stop in to "Screwey Loui's" bait and tackle - he carries all the deep water stuff you might need.

Dipsy's are good, but you'll probably want to run down riggers too.

One of my buddies runs 3 riggers inside, two dipsies outside those and two planer boards with lead-core outside those to cover different depths.

Spoons or flashers with flies are popular for salmon too.