Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Chickamauga Crappie 3-17-2007

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chickamauga Crappie 3-17-2007

I had the pleasure of fishing with some fine fishermen today who knew how to put Chickamauga Lake crappie in the livewell. Clayton Cornell knows his way around a fishing rod better than most. And he's leading his youngsters, Addison and Marshall right down the same path. They toughed it out on a bona fide March day, cold and windy. Of course the fish helped us forget about the temperature. We put 40+ keepers in the boat (Cornell started culling when he started thinking about cleaning <grin>) ... and I dare say we were catching at least 3-to-1, short fish to keepers. 120 fish will keep most anybody warm. They thought about postponing with the blustery March forecast but Clayton said they took a vote and decided to "go for it." About three hours in Marshall said, "I'm sure glad we decided to come fishing today." ... it was music to my ears. We were trolling, but with the wind Clayton figured out that the 1/16th ounce heads really were working best today. We caught fish on a variety of colors but a pink/chartreuse paddletail grub seemed to work especially well. We probably caught more fish in 6-8 feet of water, but it seemed like more of the bigger fish were hanging out a little deeper, 10-14 feet. I'm glad to see all the little fish... bodes well for next year.

Richard Simms
    Editor, CrappieNOW

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day.
    I will miss fishing there this spring. But that is life.
    Pete