Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What panfish eat under the ice

Post Thanks / Like

Default What panfish eat under the ice

Here's a link to an excellent article on panfish food under the ice. Note that sun drives the food deep into the darkness, rather than to the top as we might expect in summer. - Roberta

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/icefishing.gf_aa016104a/
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article Roberta. It was hard to load and locate on that website though, too many popups and spyware! Anyway, it was interesting to see how the fish eat such tiney foods. Here in ice fishing territory it explains why the fish are so inactive. They don't need to be active, and they don't have enough food to maintain high activity. That explains the severely soft bite too.

This is the title of the article (below), I don't think Roberta's link takes you straight to the page, it's a weirdly navigated site, but a good site.

What Do Panfish Eat in the Winter?
    When our waters freeze over, the food supply for panfish is severely depleted. Here's what they eat to survive, and how you can "match the hatch" to catch them.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Article

Here is the quick link to the article that Robeta is talking about. Roberta this is a good magazine and I try to buy this one along with crappie.com when it's at the news stands. Thanks for finding this link.

These animated invertebrates, like phantom midge larvae, are perceived as flickers on the screen, and the level or depth they appear at is largely dictated by light conditions. "If it's cloudy, they'll be pretty high in water column, going deeper when it's sunny," said Genz. "Zooplankton stay at depths where it's hard for fish to see them, blending into the terrain. It gives them a sense of security."

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/icefishing/gf_aa016104a/

Sorry here is the link above

I think I got my copy at Barn's and Noble or else it was at Books a million book store. I picked up the Indiana version of game and fish.

Here is the subscription page for the magazine. I noticed that they have one for Arkansas too.

https://store.primediamags.com/outdoorsBest/8/173/2042
    Last edited by Moose1am; 01-24-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the link, Mooose? And what news stand to you get Crappie.com magazine from? Never heard of it!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Jerry:

I placed the link on my post now. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Where is the link, Mooose? And what news stand to you get Crappie.com magazine from? Never heard of it!
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation home subscription ....

might be a little cheaper for the "Game & Fish" mags ... if you don't mind some of the Winter mags leaning more towards hunting, with a few fishing articles. I've subscribed to the KY Game & Fish version for many, many years. I still have all copies since 1998 (gave the older ones to my Mom). I have advocated looking this mag over, getting a subscription for ones home state or states fished in, or just looking at the website for recent or updated articles. It's a pretty good mag, and not very expensive. It does deal with fish other than Crappie, and hunting ... but, for $15/1yr or $28/2yrs - you do save over buying them "regularly" off the stand ($3.50/copy) if you buy more than 5 copies per year.
    The website - http://gameandfish.about.com/ -
    You will notice that not all of the mags are called "(state) Game and Fish", some are called "(state) Sportsman" .... so some may already be reading and/or receiving this magazine under the alternative name. .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I get Illinois Game & Fish. This month, it had a couple of crappie article. I hunt as much as I fish, so there is always something good to read. And, In-Fisherman had a good crappie article.

Post Thanks / Like

just subscribed to the washington version. yeah!
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, it's an online magazine, and you're looking right at it right now!

Don't forget to mail in your subscription fee! Need my address? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    And what news stand to you get Crappie.com magazine from? Never heard of it!
    Last edited by Slab; 01-26-2005 at 02:11 AM.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best