Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kerr Lake or any other lake

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kerr Lake or any other lake

In the back of Big Buffalo and Little Buffalo creeks there are a lot of trees, stumps and other cover that should hold fish. But for some reason I've never been able to catch anything back there. Seems to be plenty of water, just no fish. Can anyone explain this to me? Am I just there at the wrong time of the year? I realize in March they are usually in pre-spawn area but it seems like one would venture back there once in a while. Or are these like a friend of mine calls "people places" and not fish places?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You Would Think They Would Be There But They Don`t Usually Go Pass The Creek Channel Before The 58 Bridge.go And Fish The Back Of Butchers Were The Stumps Are You Will Find Some Nice Crappie There If You Get There In Time.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave, are you talking about way up towards the rt 688 bridge? I've been up as far as what looks like an old railroad bridge but I don't remember doing much there. Come to think about it, there were several boats that passed us and kept going on up the creek.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

There Is Another 2 Miles Back After The Cement Collums.it Is A Big Flat That Goes To 688 Bridge It Is Full Of Stumps That Are 3 To 4ft In Dia.in Fact The Whole Back Of Butchers Is A Stump Feild.floating Corks Is The Way To Fish It In March.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, Last year in March we were fishing Buffalo and went under the 58 bridge straight back to the Island. The water got real shallow quick and I got on the trolling motor to keep from getting hung up and immediately caught the biggest crappie of the day. If my memory serves, I also caught my first white bass back there.
    We have also done some good trolling back and forth under the bridge but have to be careful not to break your rod tips on the pilings.
    Also went to Butchers last year and fished in the back with 0 bites but managed to get a few in the front of Butchers. The back looked real good and I'm sure they are there if you fish it at the right time. That same day when I got back to the ramp at Rudds I tied up to the floating pier to get the trailer and happened to glance at the fish finder which I had left running and saw fish so I dropped a jig over and "Presto". This happened a few more times but I quit because it was getting dark and I've heard you're really not supposed to do that.

I thought it was pretty ironic to run all around the lake and the fish were right at the ramp!
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    In the back of Big Buffalo and Little Buffalo creeks there are a lot of trees, stumps and other cover that should hold fish. But for some reason I've never been able to catch anything back there. Seems to be plenty of water, just no fish. Can anyone explain this to me? Am I just there at the wrong time of the year? I realize in March they are usually in pre-spawn area but it seems like one would venture back there once in a while. Or are these like a friend of mine calls "people places" and not fish places?

I checked out the cabins at Kerr & they look real good. Just might see you there this Spring. When are you going to be there?

Not much to report from Claytor or Smith Mtn. Just got back from the duck camp in MS and "Ole Man River" was on a rampage. High flooding water is not good for fishing the oxbow lakes

It's good to see more folks posting on the VA board.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I checked out the cabins at Kerr & they look real good. Just might see you there this Spring. When are you going to be there?

Not much to report from Claytor or Smith Mtn. Just got back from the duck camp in MS and "Ole Man River" was on a rampage. High flooding water is not good for fishing the oxbow lakes

It's good to see more folks posting on the VA board.
    We will be arriving around noon on Mar 20th and probably leave Mar 25th. Sometimes we stay an extra day if Scott doesn't have our cabin obligated for the weekend. I think this will be our 6th year going over there. Love that lake!!

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va