Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A few more for the freezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default A few more for the freezer

I had made plans for a trip yesterday afternoon with my usual fishing partner back on Thursday but he was unable to follow through (long story) so I took another solo trip to see what might be biting. Glad that I did! I got there and on the water at 4 and fished until dark at 6:30.

Name:  IMG_0661.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  112.8 KB

This nice crappie was the first fish of the afternoon and......(I'm pretty sure)... my first EVER fish on a roadrunner. I think it was also the big fish of the day at 11 1/2". I know others have good luck with them, but I don't think I've ever caught a thing except weeds on one. By the end of my trip, it also accounted for a couple more crappie and a bluegill.

I rowed around trolling the roadrunner as pictured, that same Stinger on a ball head and the usual grey stinger, also on a ball head, until I found an area holding loosely scattered fish. I dropped a marker and simply began to troll back and forth over a large area in the general vicinity and depth as the ones I marked. As I found a few tighter schools, I would try to jig them with a vertical presentation but had zero results that way. I did get one casting after trying to jig them up but trolling was what they wanted yesterday afternoon/evening.

Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  102.5 KB

The 2 green lures were the ticket at first; it wasn't until the sun went behind the hill that the grey began to hook 'em. It became the lure of choice for crappie and the one perch I hooked.

Name:  IMG_0665.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  63.2 KB

I kept a total of 4 'gills, 1 perch and 7 crappie. Keeper crappie were mostly around 10". I tossed back quite a few more short crappie and bluegills, too.
    It was a more active trip than I thought it would be actually. Yesterday, it was pretty warm and relatively humid, and the surface water temperature was 64.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear you are getting out. Glad to see the results are good. Keep up the good work and the fishing gets better as the season gets closer to ice-up.
    Tight lies to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, thanks for sharing.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report, those are sure pretty fish. You caught enough for dinner too!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent report and some very nice crappie.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You had a good day
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep