Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stabilize Rodholders?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabilize Rodholders?

Just bought an older skeeter aluminum boat to make into a crappie slayer. It has all aluminum floors and decks which I love for no rot issues, but I have noticed a problem. It has homemade rod holders mounted to the decks now with a t-bar and they move around a lot. The floor is not supported a lot and it flexes under any stress from the rod holders. I am going to mount different ones in the back and keep the front like it is. How do I fix the flex? Thought about getting maybe a foot square sheet of aluminum and using it as backer under the deck. Think that would help? Any ideas?
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's about the only way your going to stabilize it. If you have access and room I would even try to mount a length of 2x2 aluminum angle across middle of backing plate.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I would mount 3/4 in plywood under where the rod holder are mounted

Post Thanks / Like

Some aluminum skinned boats' decks are backed with plywood, like they do some transoms and fiberglass boats. . Are you able to get underneath the decks to see if that was how it was built?

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue on my Xpress, if you moved your foot or stood up on the deck it would cause the holders to wobble and with 16' rods a little wobble at the holder would make the tips move like crazy. My problem was because of the compartment hatch being in the center not allowing the hat channel to go all the way back to the back wall were it could be welded in.

I took a piece of 2x2x1/4 aluminum angle and placed it underneath my pedestal mounts using the existing holes with new longer bolts and tied all 3 bases together, doing that "sandwiched" the two runs of hat channel that were not welded in and gave them some support.
    IF I could get underneath there I would add another closer to the front as well but I can't fit in there!

Post Thanks / Like

I will take a closer look this weekend. I looked briefly last night. The base seems to be moving more than the actual deck. It is mounted on carpet and is a small probalbly 2 inch by 3 inch base. I may can make a larger base for the rod holder to mount to and get it stable enough. it seems to be rocking on the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys

Post Thanks / Like

"it seems to be rocking on the carpet."
    if it's rocking ON the carpet and the deck doesn't seem to be moving, I'd say it's just not down tight enough.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I got the back ones pretty tight and they are ok I believe. I am going to put spyderloks up front so I think I will just leave those on and not mess with them. I will try mounting the new bases this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Started mounting spyderloks on it last night. moved it a little forward and there is plywood under the 1st half of the front deck so I think these are going to be rock solid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast