Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A tough afternoon with the wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default A tough afternoon with the wind

Wind........my own personal Achilles heel, it seems. After the rain stopped yesterday afternoon, I decided to head to the water for a bit of fishing. The wind was manageable here at home and when I launched just before 3. Had just about 45 minutes of acceptable conditions before the wind picked up...and up.....and up a bit more. I managed 3 fish in that time, 1 average bluegill, a 10ish inch crappie and a 12" crappie before things went out of balance.

Name:  IMG_0660.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  47.3 KB

Yea, they look a bit lonely in there but that's all I scored yesterday. I got off the water about 5. Just couldn't control the boat enough to do much of anything. I didn't have an anchor with me as the wind here at home was no big deal; I didn't expect it to pick up that much. Next time will be better!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch! Have you tried drifting with the wind? It never ceases to amaze me at how fast you can drift and still rack 'em up.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should have put on heavier jig heads and tried that, it was the ideal day for it. I know you get good results from it.
    The fish I did get came from 12-14' of water and the drift I had at the beginning was working well. While fighting the wind, I saw very few fish in the deeper water I got pushed over. A few scattered singles, right at the thermocline. I figure they were something other than crappie.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Good try for such lousy weather. As Rich suggested you should try drifting, although if you have to row all the way back upwind it may not be your cup-of-tea. We have good luck with that method but we are in open water for a long range and we have power engines to get us back upwind. Don't be bothered by not seeing many fish on the fish finder, we often get a lot of fish with no signs on the finder, it seems they are attracted by the vibrations or visibility of the lures. Rich has excellent results with the Road Runner style lures which definately draws them in from a distance. Keep up the good work and tight lines to you. Walt