Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mississippi River Crappie?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi River Crappie?????

Hey guys, I am a diehard Reelfoot fisherman, but being right here by the River and catching oxbow and creek crappie in the fall has got me fired up to fish theemain river. There really isn't mush cover in the channel, but there have been a bunch of wing dams built up and down the river in the past 10-15 years. in most places they have created mini-impoundments or slack water areas.

Does anyone fish them or any part of the main Mississippi River and HOW????

Any help would be appreciated.

also, same question for sauger

rushcreekoutdoor

Post Thanks / Like

I live in RIpley , TN and also have thought about trolling the river but I have never. Curious to see responses on this

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago a fellow named Rayo Breckinridge had a fishing show on the Jonesboro, Ark. television station. I remember one show was about him catching a bunch of crappie on a long pole with minnows fishing behind wing dams on the Miss. River around Blytheville. I remember it was during the hot summer and that he gave the river levels for when he said it would work, but I don't remember what they were. I may have it written down on a Miss. County map. I'll try to check and let you know if I find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Mississippi River Crappie

Just for your info. Rayo Breakenridge was the winner of the first Bassmaster Classic. His brother Russel and his son are the top striper Guides on lake Norfork. They also crappie guide. Check out their website-Breakenridge Guide Service,Mtn Home,AR. My 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Default underutilized resource

Thanks for the response guys, I really think that the main river is an underutilized resource. I have heard a few people talk about fishing it in the summer. I have had some fantastic fishing in the harbor and backwater creeks and oxbows, they have to be eating in the river too.

keep it coming.

thanks
    rushcreekoutdoor

Post Thanks / Like

I finally found my Crittenden County map where I had written some notes after I saw that Rayo Breckinridge show. He said to fish slack water below dikes, wing dams or sand bars when the river was at 5 ft. or below on the Memphis gauge and stable or falling slowly. Hope this will help.