Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do?

First, a little background;
    I've been fishing since I was a kid but this is the first time I've ever targeted a specific species of fish. I've always been happy with whatever takes the hook and, for the most part, still am. But, I'm trying to learn how to be a real fisherman.

My primary lake is a small park district lake near my home. It's convenient and has a good Crappie population. I caught 13"rs this past July so I know there are good fish to be had. I was catching them using minnows on a drop shot rig about 4 ft off the bottom, following the 15 ft contour line, on the north 1/3 of the attached lake chart.

In late July early August, they just stopped biting. Even the others that fish there regularly are saying they haven't been able to catch many crappie.
    For the last few weeks I haven't caught a single crappie. I trying to figure out what I need to change to start catching again.

The lake bottom is very uneventful. Mostly about 8 ft., flat with very little structure. One or two submerged stumps in 8 ft. of water. I saw what looks like a row boat not too far from one of the stumps, and a Jeep in 12 ft., the local fire department put there to do under water rescue training every spring.

I've trolled various Bandit's, Bombers, and Rapallas. I've tried jigs with soft plastics and live bait, minnows, worms, and wax worms, with and without a bobber.

My Lowrance Elite 9 Ti is showing me plenty of fish. I just can't seem to figure out how to make them bite. I would appreciate any advice anybody is willing to give.

Name:  LakeOpeka.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  53.4 KB

One last note. Please don't tell me to find another lake to fish. I don't believe that will teach me much and I'm trying to learn the art of Crappie fishing.
    I figure if I can learn how to consistently catch crappie on this lake I will be able to find and catch them on any lake that has them.

Thank You All for sharing your wisdom with others.
    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord show you his kindness and have mercy on you.
    May the Lord watch over you and give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26 (CSB)

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year I would be down by the bighole, ledges/dropoffs are where I am finding fish. Minnows should work as well as crankbaits if you find the right depth.
    Likes armyman, micorps, Hanr3 LIKED above post

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't wast your money on small minnows, go either mediums or large. By now the small ones in lake are bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Most all the state lakes here in TN, have shut down. Water temp is the blame. Your lake is shallow like a bunch of lakes here. Don't worry they will cooldown before long. After water cools and fish start schooling again, during the day, long lining will pay off.

Post Thanks / Like

As stated in earlier post, I would look hard at the drops. Then downsize everything. Fish extra small and extra slow. That's what is working for me right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy115 View Post
    First, a little background;
    I've been fishing since I was a kid but this is the first time I've ever targeted a specific species of fish. I've always been happy with whatever takes the hook and, for the most part, still am. But, I'm trying to learn how to be a real fisherman.

My primary lake is a small park district lake near my home. It's convenient and has a good Crappie population. I caught 13"rs this past July so I know there are good fish to be had. I was catching them using minnows on a drop shot rig about 4 ft off the bottom, following the 15 ft contour line, on the north 1/3 of the attached lake chart.

In late July early August, they just stopped biting. Even the others that fish there regularly are saying they haven't been able to catch many crappie.
    For the last few weeks I haven't caught a single crappie. I trying to figure out what I need to change to start catching again.

The lake bottom is very uneventful. Mostly about 8 ft., flat with very little structure. One or two submerged stumps in 8 ft. of water. I saw what looks like a row boat not too far from one of the stumps, and a Jeep in 12 ft., the local fire department put there to do under water rescue training every spring.

I've trolled various Bandit's, Bombers, and Rapallas. I've tried jigs with soft plastics and live bait, minnows, worms, and wax worms, with and without a bobber.

My Lowrance Elite 9 Ti is showing me plenty of fish. I just can't seem to figure out how to make them bite. I would appreciate any advice anybody is willing to give.

Name:  LakeOpeka.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  53.4 KB

One last note. Please don't tell me to find another lake to fish. I don't believe that will teach me much and I'm trying to learn the art of Crappie fishing.
    I figure if I can learn how to consistently catch crappie on this lake I will be able to find and catch them on any lake that has them.

Thank You All for sharing your wisdom with others.
    Snuffy, Don't get discouraged. The weather has been less than ideal. Those crappie didn't get to be 13 inches by being stupid. They are still there, they sometimes just won't bite. Just because you see them on the finder, only means that something is down there.... not that they are biting. August is awful slow, water is hot and after asking friends who have been going ..... nobody is catching anything of size. Water will cool down in a few days and old crappie hangouts will again become more active. There is no way you caught all the crappie with a hook. Just be patient . Things will change. Hope things pick up in a few days........crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

Is the lake have a spring or creek? If creek maybe they will come up to feeder creek source with a little current for feeding on surface insects before dark? Try going there at dark and listen for them hitting the surface. What part of the lake do you see bait?
    but>>>> My first instinct is go deep in the heat.
    TIGHT LINES

Post Thanks / Like

As water warm this summer, i found mid depth brushpiles early morning to be the spots. Seems mid day they dont bite as well here, they are also under docks mid day in the heat, but i also know water in south carolina is alot warmer. If i was a betting man, they are under dock, stumps, brishpiles, etc. key if finding all the structure and varying times until you stumble on a pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

I do well when the water temp is hot with ultra light cranks, my go to is the ulc 3 rapala with 6lb nanofil at 1.5-3.0 mph, I just keep speeding up till I start getting reaction bites.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm like bowmender. I'd find the deepest hole and fish on the steepest drop off this time of year. And as others said slow down a little. Your drop shot with minnow or with jig should work out some for you.. Just be patent you will figure them out.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast