HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual spot lock???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Manual spot lock???

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I am going to ask it anyway. Has anyone come up with a way to install a spot lock feature on the regular foot controlled trolling motors? If not, maybe Mr. Rickie could put his genius to work on this for us??

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-31-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Thanks Thunder thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The alleged "new spot lock" that comes with spending $2,500 on the Minn Kota Ulterra 80 pound 24 volt to include new batteries, wiring, installation, and three bank charger does not do a very good job and certainly does not hold to its advertised capability. The only spot lock I have seen work as advertised is an anchor.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well like dhaire has said spot lock will only hold you in a 10ft zone so unless you're fishing a big area it's not very affective. I would just stick to a acnker of some sort or stay on the trolling motor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I have to disagree, based on my experience. I have an Ultrex and I don't come close to drifting 10ft away after I engage spot lock. It does a awesome job. But that's not what this topic was about. I just wanted to voice my opinion based on the other opinions above.
    Likes Alphahawk, Bigslab11, fuifam52 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I had bought yours (smile).

Likes J.M., akaslyguy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Many confuse the 1st gen spot lock with the 2nd gen spot lock on Minn Kota . I have an 1st gen Ulterra....I am not happy with the spot lock. I have been beside and in boats with folks who have the 2nd gen spot lock on an Ultrex...Terrova...and an Ulterra. To say I am impressed is an understatement. I am sure next year I will sell my 1st gen and get the 2nd gen Ulterra....or 3rd gen if it is out.

Regards

Likes akaslyguy, Cane Pole LIKED above post
    Thanks milliman3216 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is the Gen 2. Christmas present from wife. 2017 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhaire View Post

Sounds like you may need to adjust your "boat scale" setting if you are having trouble with it not holding you close to your spot. You can change this setting with your remote. Default is 0... but can be adjusted up or down depending on your boat size. Settings are -1 -2 0 +1 +2. If it drifts off the spot and has to ramp up to a high speed to get back.... you may need to increase the setting. If it keeps over shooting your spot... then backs up too much... then over shoots again...... then you need to decrease your setting.

Also spot lock in very calm, light wind conditions are the hardest to hold a spot lock in. Having some breeze works much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhaire View Post

Then I would assume that you're going to send it back for service. I have had to send my gen 1 back twice in 2 years.....and while I certainly do not like the spot lock I have nothing but good to say about Minn Kota service. While I am unhappy with the spot lock part of it is that my boat is way too small for an 80# motor. It is only 14.5 feet long with 54 inch bottom. I really like the feature on the gen 2 models that allow you to adjust correction speed to size of boat.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree, based on my experience. I have an Ultrex and I don't come close to drifting 10ft away after I engage spot lock. It does a awesome job. But that's not what this topic was about. I just wanted to voice my opinion based on the other opinions above.
    Same here. Mine does a great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast