HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey rescue efforts

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harvey rescue efforts

News reports out of the Houston area are worsening by the hour. Donations to charities and others dealing with the catastrophe are important, but we are a group of sportsmen with small boats and experience using them.

No doubt a few C.c members are already on the scene using shallow draft jon boats to get victims out of places that would be impossible for other watercraft. In the days ahead, we will hear stories of heroic rescues by crappie fishermen who trailer their rigs to the affected area and join the battle to save lives.

The "Cajun Navy" guys are sportsmen and boaters just like us...and what they're doing will save many lives. Like us, they are well aware of the dangers of boating in high water with floating debris of all kinds and submerged hazards.

Yesterday, the "The Times-Picayune" posted reporter Todd Masson's ([email protected]) online article titled "Cajun Navy veteran has advice for those heading to rescue flooded residents." Cajun Navy veteran has advice for those heading to rescue flooded residents | NOLA.com The article is a list of precautions for anyone who's using his boat to help Texans survive the worst natural disaster in their lives.

If I were 10 years younger, I'd be on the way to Houston to enlist in the "Cajun Navy", myself. For now, I've made an online donation to the Salvation Army and stand ready to offer direct assistance to anyone who's actually there in his boat pulling survivors out of harm's way.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-29-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Fishing since '50!
    Thanks skiptomylu, Slab, "D", Ralo79 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

p.s. -
    I emailed Todd Masson to ask about any contact that would help contributors and volunteers offer assistance directly to the "Cajun Navy" and any other private group. His reply:

The Cajun Navy is an informal group with no central management (maybe that’s why it works so well).
    You can follow some participants through the following Facebook link:
    https://www.facebook.com/LaCajunNavy/
    Fishing since '50!
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for posting this. Hopefully it helps. The Lord knows they need help. We're all praying to keep everyone safe.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

They are in bad shape down there
    2002 Triton TR186 , Mercury 175
    Spyderlok Rod Holders, Cornfield Crappie Gear,Denali Rods, Ardent Reels
    Humminbird Helix Megas DI,SI,SONAR GPS, Humminbird 360
    Minnkota Ultrex

Post Thanks / Like

I'm packing to head to Houston...any body got an idea of what I need to take, outside of gas & water...

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
    Edgar Hood lll
    5651 Flower Lake Rd
    Dundee, MS 38626
    256-883-8615 [email protected]
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post
    Thanks Slab, Corker thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebranger View Post
    I'm packing to head to Houston...any body got an idea of what I need to take, outside of gas & water...

You might call ahead to wherever you intend to go & ask them. Here's just some things I can think of spur of the moment :

Pet Food
    Toiletries
    Clorox bleach
    Baby formula/food
    Diapers

Oh, and be sure and take enough of your own personal supplies for the trip there & back !!
    Thanks rebranger thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glasses & sunglasses, comfortable shoes, meds, and any other personal items that would be difficult or impossible to replace. Basically, you should pack what you would need for a wilderness camping trip. You'll probably need to sleep in your truck or boat, so throw in a sleeping bag & maybe a pool float or yoga mat to go under it. If you don't already have a 12v charger cord for your phone, pick one up along the way. Widespread power outages can be expected, so businesses that can somehow get their doors open will be on a cash-only basis. Lots of small bills might come in handy--hit your bank on the way out of town and get a good supply of $1, $5, and $10 bills. If you can find ice, you'll need a (clean, not fishy) cooler.

Good luck and shoot us an update when & if you can.
    Fishing since '50!

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Louisiana Fish & Game recommends getting in touch with Houston Police Dept.
    before you make the drive unless you already know of a mission you are needed in.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The governor of Louisiana sent a tanker of gasoline to the state line to give to the Cajun navy to help fill their boats and vehicles. Good job Gov. Edwards.
    Likes Slab, skiptomylu LIKED above post
    Thanks Corker thanked you for this post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Money ,water, gas, snack food,drinks,coolers full of ice, new underwear, t-shirts,tools, first aid kit,candles,flashlights,batteries,coleman stoves with fuel, t-paper,paper towels,soap. Those are a few I remember needing. Maybe a generator also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast