HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are cedar trees toxic?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are cedar trees toxic?

I have been building and sinking brush lately mainly using hackberry and cedar trees/juniper i think. I live in central tx and everyone here calls them cedars, i do not know the exact type. Anyways one of my crappie friends came by during the building process and strarted yelling ohh noo man what are you doin trying to kill the fish!??! I looked with complete confusion saying wth are you talking about. He explained that the sap an tree itself has a toxin that kills fish and basically anything that tries to eat it.

any proof to this because i found very little explanation on google and i love how dense a cedar is plus they seem to last for ahwile in my lake at least

also what is the best tree to put out, im sure some have more sugars an others will last longer due to hardness but what would be the absolute prime tree type to sink.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all the fish in Enid should be dead as they have used cedar trees for the last 21 yrs. I know of .
    Likes strmwalker, Cane Pole, grumpy k, Gindog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cedar trees are ok.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Haha thats what i thought. any ideas as to which tree is the best?
    Take out the location factor, consider its already in the best location what would you sink
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Check this forum out here on crappie.com about fish habitat and structures it has a whole lot of information to help you.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/crapp...and-pond-mgmt/
    Be safe and good luck fishing

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hardwood would work best for long term !!! but cedar and pine trees are good to use to get a brush pile started and then go back and add the hard wood to it !!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes skeetbum, Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used cedar for years. I gather the cedar and set it aside so the green stuff dries out. Takes about a year to dry. The wood also lightens up because the water in the trunk evaporates too. This makes it much easier to sink. I prepare the cedar by trimming most of the fine branches so to prevent hang ups. I also torch the fine stuff.

You can sink a lot of cedar with a cement block this way. I also have a dedicated boat for dumping the cedar and other stuff. It is a 12 foot Coleman Crawdad. I added a front deck that I can tilt remotely with an electric ram. Did this cause Ima getting too old to cut the mustard anymore.

Photobucket wants ransom money for my personal videos on the crawdad. They are calling my videos 3rd party hosting. Of course, I told them where to put their 3rd party hosting claim.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Crappiedayz, Redge LIKED above post
    Thanks PDog thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand most trees are fine, but do not use a Black walnut tree as it will ruin any great crappie hole from what I understand!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post
    Thanks BobB thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

once cedar dries out it will be ok, hangy but ok, around here if you put it in green, it will take 6 months to a year before crappie will move in.

Post Thanks / Like

Cane pole: i saw that on a video yesterday, slapped myself for not thinkin of that haha brilliant idea and you hardly have to mess with getting jabbed poked or possibly pulled in when dumping trees.
    Skip: i read somewhere on google that walnut was a no no actually found more on walnut being bad than cedar

I put mine in green thinking maybe a month at most but i suppose i way underestimated the power of those little green needle things haha dying an dead cedar sounds better, i know from just searching that dead wood is much easier to work with, i believe ill do a dead center with fresh cut willow branches surrounding maybe? Who knew dropping trees in a lake was so much fun, idk if it's the excitement of possibly having a secret honey hole or if i just like the splash and see the tree slowly disappear hahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast